#1 2010-05-24 22:38:05

Fringale

[Plugin] New plugins for music collection : Amazon search

Hi,

I've developped a few fetch plugins for music collections allowing retrieval from most Amazon websites. This shoud be beta quality, reasonably tested, with a number of bugs still lurking - either because of cases I haven't (yet) stumbled on, or my rather limited (but improving) knowledge of perl.

Plugin files are joined to the post, extract them in lib/GCPlugins/GCmusics folder.

Main features:
- Websites to fetch from: Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.ca, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de;
- Search by EAN, Title, Artist or Label;
- Retrieve medium or large image depending on the option you set in GCstar Internet options.

Known limitations:
- Plugins only fetch the first artist if several are listed ;
- If no image is available, the plugins fetch a "void" image - you have to right-click on the image and delete it to get back the default GCstar image (green note);
- Title running time is not available in some cases (depends mostly on which website you're using) - in that case, title and global running time are set to 0:00 instead of being empty;
- In the case of a multiple CD set, title numbers are not reset to 1 when changing CD;
- In the case of a multiple CD set, titles above 10 are hidden by Amazon and available on another page, and as such, the plugins can't fetch them  (e.g.: Motley Cre - Carnival of Sins - #EAN 0693723975122).

Happy fetchin'!

Attachments:
Attachment Icon GCstar_GCmusics-GCAmazon_20100524.zip, Size: 9,529 bytes, Downloads: 567

#2 2010-06-11 20:31:01

Fringale

Re: [Plugin] New plugins for music collection : Amazon search

New version joined to this post.

It fixes the following limitation:
- Plugins only fetch the first artist if several are listed.
=> All artists are now correctly retrieved.

Attachments:
Attachment Icon GCstar_GCmusics-GCAmazon_20100611.zip, Size: 9,746 bytes, Downloads: 491

#3 2010-08-27 21:00:41

Fringale

Tian, zombiepig, how is the Amazon plugins refactoring progressing? Can I help you with that subject?

I would like to put these Amazon music plugins out of their limbo state, but can't do much without the new Amazon API base plugin.

#4 2010-08-30 07:33:52

zombiepig

It's pretty close - I've got everything functional (for the books plugin), with the exception of genre/category handling. Hopefully I should be able the commit it in the next few days smile

#5 2010-08-31 19:39:26

Fringale

Nice, well done. smile

#6 2010-09-01 08:13:21

zombiepig

I just committed the rewritten Amazon books plugins. There's still a few things which need fixing, like increasing the number of search returns, but it should be working well now. Let me know how this works for you, and if you'd like any help implementing a similar thing for your music plugin smile.

#7 2011-07-24 11:37:10

Fringale

Hi,

Following zombiepig's advice and book plugin example, I have rewritten my Amazon music plugin (now based on the Amazon Product Advertising API) late last year. However, I have moved to KDE since then and unfortunately I am not using GCstar anymore.

I am posting it in its current state so that maybe someone can polish it and include it in GCstar. It should be functional, work left is mostly finding a way to retrieve track length (not exposed by the API last time I looked).

Best of luck to GCstar, and see you all when/if I'm coming back to Gnome! tongue

Attachments:
Attachment Icon GCstar_GCmusics_AmazonAPI_20111204.zip, Size: 3,894 bytes, Downloads: 547

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.