#1 2016-03-15 18:34:55

bezel

GCstar for Windows

Hi.

I'm glad to see that the author of this great software is back!

I have some requests for You:

1. Me and probably many other users would like to use the latest's GC on Windows.

2. It would be great if You could make an Portable/Non installation version.
    To be more specific I'd like to move gc settings that are stored in C:\Users\UserID
    \AppData\Roaming\gcstar to GC main folder.

3. I only use GC in bookshelf view as a movie play list (I browse ,select a movie and hit play). 
    You could make an option to switch or even start GC in full screen view. No menus and
    window borders ,just pure bookshelf with buttons to Close ,minimize ,switch back to
    window. Additionally add an option to assign key or mouse button to play (for example: 
    select a movie and hit enter or middle mouse button).         

Of course I know that You are busy and You prefer Linux so I understand above requests may not be fulfilled. Anyway thank You and keep up the good work!

PS: Sorry for bad English but it isn't my first language.

#2 2016-03-16 19:25:34

Tian
Administrator
Website

Re: GCstar for Windows

Hello,

Regarding point 1 and 2, there's nothing I can do for that. There is a thread where some users tried to work on it, but I don't know if anything is usable now.

http://forums.gcstar.org/viewtopic.php?id=1979

Regarding point 3, it's already possible to show it the way you want. Just go to menu Configuration, then Display. From here, you have options to hide all items. You can do the same from the menu that appears when doing a right click in your collection. For what you want, I'd suggest to not use Full Screen, but just maximize the window. Then if you close GCstar, it will remember all these options. And when you restart it, it will be full screen again, with all the menus and bars hidden.

Regarding a shortcut to play directly the movie, there is indeed nothing yet. I will try to look into that.

#3 2016-03-21 16:00:00

kerenoc

Hello

Request 1 : Using latest version on Windows

As long as the new versions remain backward compatible with the version of the main program ("bin/gcstar") compiled in Windows packages, one can simply uncompress the gcstar-*.tar.gz into the GCstar installation directory on Windows. Be sure to make a backup of that directory beforehand! With 1.7.1 it's working either with the 1.6.1 Windows version or the 1.7.0 Windows version.

Request 2 : Portable installation

In the BAT script file that launches GCstar (in the "bin" directory), before the call to "gcstar.exe" simply add a line similar to
set APPDATA=.
That should create a "gcstar/config" directory with configuration files in it.

Hope this helps

#4 2016-03-30 11:12:08

bezel

@Tian

Thank You for reply.

I forgot to mention that I'm using version 1.5.0 and there is no option to hide all items.
I'm still on 1.5.0 because in 1.6.1 there is a bug with image overlays.
The frames are smaller than the movie covers.

Example:
v 1.5.0
http://i.imgur.com/fj7fE8w.jpg

v 1.6.1
http://i.imgur.com/AV93tUA.jpg

Of course you can disable them but then the covers are flat and it looks terrible hmm
As for the options to hide items (1.6.1).
It's almost perfect but there still is a bar Ascending/Descending.
It would be great to hide that too.
For now I'll stay with 1.5.0 and wait for some updates.
Thank You for your work!

@kerenoc

Thank You for your help!
The set APPDATA= works perfect and now I can save settings wherever I want. smile
I unpacked the gcstar-*.tar.gz to gcstar installation folder and I think it works.
I got some new features and options but when you go to Help>About GC star there still is v1.5.0 or 1.6.1
I checked on both installations to be sure. But that's not a problem.
Thanks again!

#5 2016-03-30 21:47:44

kerenoc

When uncompressing the new GCstar version in a Windows installation, all perl files are updated but the "bin/gcstar" one. It seems to be compiled in the "gcstar.exe" binary and thus can't be modified. This file contains the version string so in Windows the version displayed will not be correct. Currently it is not a problem as the differences between the 1.6.1 and the 1.7.1 version of this file are only a comment and the version variable.

As long as Tian doesn't change the Perl and GTK versio and keeps doing only minor changes to "bin/gcstar", this method should work. Otherwise, someone will have to repackage everything to Windows again! Or create a Docker image with a minimal Linux running GCstar!

#6 2016-04-04 20:22:14

Tian
Administrator
Website

Hello,

@bezel> Indeed that's weird this bug with the overlays. I'll look into what may have changed between these versions. Thanks for reporting that.

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.