#1 2016-06-21 14:38:48

jopla

problem with websearch

Hi,

I m a new user of GCStar. And it is a bit difficult to find out how everything is working. Hopefully somebody can help me.

I try to add books to the database with Search and with the scan app. But there is no website that can recognize the ISBN number of the item I choosed. Amazon doesn't stop with searching, others don get any result. Maybe I do something wrong?

I tried the following ISBN numbers:

Or maybe does I need a more on the Netherlands orientated website for this books? But how to add this site to the searchcollection?

#2 2016-06-21 16:25:15

tpf

Re: problem with websearch

Hello,

I'll try to take a look to amazon plugin this week. It needs probably some modifications

#3 2016-06-21 18:16:05

jopla

Maybe all plugins need a review. I don't get any result till now ...
Are there also plugins for Dutch collections like "Koninklijke Bibliotheek"? And a plugin for Google Books?

#4 2016-06-26 17:31:57

Hilarion

Hello Jopla,

jopla wrote:

Maybe all plugins need a review. I don't get any result till now ...

Yes indeed! Being also a newcomer to GCStar (Great programme by the way!), I personally tried the Amazon and the French FNAC plugins without any success. Then I stumbled on this French forum (https://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=1919911) discussing about this very problem of outdated GCStar plugins. Someone there wrote a new general plugin for Amazon (GCAmazon.pm) and  a specific one (GCAmazonFR.pm) for French Amazon (Amazon.fr). The later one can be adapted to Amazon.nl just by copying GCAmazonFR.pm to GCAmazonNL.pm and changing with an editor the URL of Amazon (i.e. .nl instead of .fr) then translating into Dutch a couple of words inside it ("Publisher", "Language", "Size", etc.).
I tried that for Amazon.fr, amazon.de, amazon.es and of course amazon.com (US). Everything works great EXCEPT downloading the cover of the books: unluckily no picture is to be found with this new plugin.

With these plugins I could download the ISBN references you were looking for ("Korte Beschryvinge van eenige Vergetene en Verborgene ANTIQUITETEN Der Provintien en Landen gelegen tusschen de Noord-Zee, de Yssel, Emse en Lippe" and a book on the Mayas) :-) EXCEPT their cover image.

It would be great if these plugins were to be updated and could fully work including the cover.

I hope this can however help for the time being.

Regards

#5 2016-06-26 18:22:31

jopla

hello Hilarion,

Thanks for your reaction. Is it possible that you send me the modified .pm files? Or that I can download them anywhere? My french is so bad that I cannot follow the discussion.

Thanks,

Jop

Last edited by jopla (2016-06-26 18:23:47)

#6 2016-06-27 09:00:55

Hilarion

hello Jopla,

jopla wrote:

Thanks for your reaction. Is it possible that you send me the modified .pm files? Or that I can download them anywhere? My french is so bad that I cannot follow the discussion.

Here is the GCAmazon.pm downloaded from the French forum as enclosed attachment. It allows to download book datas from the central Amazon.com. The resulting language will then be English but, even so, the object of your specific search is available there ("Korte Beschryvinge van eenige Vergetene en Verborgene ANTIQUITETEN...").
I began to write down a specific Dutch module (supposing that "Language" is "Taal", "Publisher"="Uitgever", etc.) but I then noticed that Amazon.nl apparently only deals with E-books (Kindle) which makes it unusable for serious research. Better remain in this case with Amazon.com and accept the English language (despite the Brexit) ;-)

#7 2016-06-27 19:10:29

jopla

Hi, thanks,

I download the .pm file to the /home/jop/gcstar/lib/gcstar/GCPlugins/GCbooks/GCAmazon.pm
But it seems not working. Still searching, yet 5 min. :-(

Last edited by jopla (2016-06-28 07:07:25)

#8 2016-06-27 21:07:17

Hilarion

Hi Jopla,

jopla wrote:

I download the .pm file to the /home/jop/gcstar/lib/gcstar/GCPlugins/GCbooks/GCAmazon.pm.org

But it seems not working. Still searching, yet 5 min. :-(

Well, on my computer (under Linux Mint with GCStar 1.7.1), the working plugin is called "GCAmazon.pm" without ".org"...

Are you sure about the extension?

#9 2016-06-28 07:09:52

jopla

@Hilarion
Sorrie, I copied the name of the wrong file. I made first a copy for the original before adding the new pm file. But it doesn't work still ...

But is the location correct? or has it to be also on /usr/ etc

#10 2016-06-28 07:53:15

Hilarion

jopla wrote:

Sorrie, I copied the name of the wrong file. I made first a copy for the original before adding the new pm file. But it doesn't work still ...

But is the location correct? or has it to be also on /usr/ etc

Well, it depends on how and where you installed GCStar and which brew of Linux you work with.

I personally installed the latest GCStar ver. 1.7.1 on Linux Mint using ./install in gcstar-1.7.1.tar.gz. This in turn installed GCStar in /usr/local/lib/gcstar/...

I then replaced the Amazon plugin (GCAmazon.pm) in /usr/local/lib/gcstar/GCPlugins/GCbooks/GCAmazon.pm.
But it looks like you have installed GCstar in your home directory instead. I suppose it works also this way, provided you respect the GCStar file tree.

#11 2016-06-28 08:17:47

jopla

Probably I have an old version (from the softwarecentre) in /usr and the 1.7.1 from source in /home. Let start to remove everything and install it again. :-)

#12 2016-06-28 09:06:13

Hilarion

Hi everybody,

In the meantime, in the French forum thread (https://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.p … 911&p=) Varkolak proposed a new version of "GCAmazon.pm" which now downloads the cover images as well.

I enclose this new file as attachment.

Have a nice day

Last edited by Hilarion (2016-06-28 09:07:37)

#13 2016-06-28 09:24:38

jopla

Hello,

I removed everything from GCStar and I've installed gcstar 1.7.1 complete new.

I see some errors ("ontbreekt" = Dutch for "missing"):

Code:

DateTime::Format::Strptime qw/strptime/Ontbreekt
MP3::Info                          Ontbreekt
MP3::Tag                           Ontbreekt
Net::FreeDB                        Ontbreekt
Ogg::Vorbis::Header::PurePerl      Ontbreekt

Warning in file "/usr/share/applications/gnumeric.desktop": usage of MIME type "zz-application/zz-winassoc-xls" is discouraged ("zz-application/zz-winassoc-xls" should be replaced with "application/vnd.ms-excel")
Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mms'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmst'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmsu'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/pnm'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspt'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspu'
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
Warning in file "/usr/share/applications/gnumeric.desktop": usage of MIME type "zz-application/zz-winassoc-xls" is discouraged ("zz-application/zz-winassoc-xls" should be replaced with "application/vnd.ms-excel")
Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mms'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmst'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmsu'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/pnm'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspt'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspu'

Is it important and which packets should I install more for it?

#14 2016-06-29 12:48:07

Hilarion

Hello Jopla,

jopla wrote:

I removed everything from GCStar and I've installed gcstar 1.7.1 complete new.
I see some errors ("ontbreekt" = Dutch for "missing"):
Is it important and which packets should I install more for it?

I'm not sure but the displayed errors do not look like they were caused by GCStar. They appear more like "Gnumeric" errors (a spreadsheet program). Are you sure that you really started GCStar? Or could it be any confusion with calling some filetype extensions with the wrong application?

I never met this type of error with GCStar yet.

Sorry not to be able to help you any further.

#15 2016-06-30 07:12:22

jopla

Hello,

Thanks for your reaction and aal the help before. I will open for the installation problems a new topic. It was a little out of topic here smile

The Amazon plugin is now working.

Jop

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.