• Index
  •  » Bug reports
  •  » Error when opening movies collection: Cannot open items list

#1 2017-03-24 21:21:58

Catdaddy

Error when opening movies collection: Cannot open items list

When I finished my gun collection, I went to re-open my movies collection to add to it. I get the error message shown in the screenshot attached. I have also attached the file for that collection. Interestingly, if I start a new collection, and attempt to import this file, I get the never-ending circle, and THE ADD MOVIE CHANGES TO ADD VEHICLE!

I am running Linux Mint 18.1, 64 bit.

I sure hope this is repairable. It took me two days to enter nearly 300 movies into this collection.

Thanks in advance for the help! I really like GCSTAR!

Wayne

Attachments:
Attachment Icon Movies.gcs, Size: 467,522 bytes, Downloads: 45

#2 2017-03-24 21:23:46

Catdaddy

Re: Error when opening movies collection: Cannot open items list

Catdaddy wrote:

When I finished my gun collection, I went to re-open my movies collection to add to it. I get the error message shown in the screenshot attached. I have also attached the file for that collection. Interestingly, if I start a new collection, and attempt to import this file, I get the never-ending circle, and THE ADD MOVIE CHANGES TO ADD VEHICLE!

I am running Linux Mint 18.1, 64 bit.

I sure hope this is repairable. It took me two days to enter nearly 300 movies into this collection.

Thanks in advance for the help! I really like GCSTAR!

Wayne

THE SCREENSHOT DID NOT ATTACH! Here it is.

Attachments:
Attachment Icon Screenshot at 2017-03-24 16-10-59.png, Size: 67,084 bytes, Downloads: 22

#3 2017-03-25 00:31:33

kerenoc
Website

Looking at Movies.gcs, it is a file for a collection of minicars containing 277 empty items whose addition dates are between March 21 and March 23. Unfortunately for you, no movie title in there :-(

#4 2017-03-25 02:04:05

Catdaddy

kerenoc wrote:

Looking at Movies.gcs, it is a file for a collection of minicars containing 277 empty items whose addition dates are between March 21 and March 23. Unfortunately for you, no movie title in there :-(

Can you give me any idea why this happened? It worked as it should have for two days and was saved often. How could it become relabeled as a minicar collection and be empty? That is, HOW can I prevent this from happening AGAIN, and, I assume there is NO way to recover all that data?

Even worse, now I cannot open the gun collection. Here is the screenshot of THAT error message. If the collection file won't attach in this post, I'll add it in a separate one.

Attachments:
Attachment Icon Screenshot at 2017-03-24 21-00-50.png, Size: 64,192 bytes, Downloads: 22

#5 2017-03-25 02:05:24

Catdaddy

Catdaddy wrote:

kerenoc wrote:

Can you give me any idea why this happened? It worked as it should have for two days and was saved often. How could it become relabeled as a minicar collection and be empty? That is, HOW can I prevent this from happening AGAIN, and, I assume there is NO way to recover all that data?

Even worse, now I cannot open the gun collection. Here is the screenshot of THAT error message. If the collection file won't attach in this post, I'll add it in a separate one.

Here is the gun collection file.

#6 2017-03-25 10:28:33

kerenoc
Website

Hello Catdaddy,

In GCstar, I've just looked at the code for plugins and import/export functions. Your problem seems to the functions related with models, with bad interactions between different collection models. Did you create yourself a new model for guns?

In my environment, loading your Movies.gcs raised an error in the graphic component. At least, I was able to solve this problem and push it to the Test branch of my GitLab GCstar repo.

In file GCGraphicComponents/GCBasicWidgets.pm line 899
one has to change the line

Code:

new GCCheckedText('0-9.');

to

Code:

$self->{from} = new GCCheckedText('0-9.');

PS : no attachment files in your previous post

Last edited by kerenoc (2017-03-25 22:15:08)

#7 2017-03-25 18:32:40

Catdaddy

Ok, let's pretend I am totally linux illiterate, which is not far from the truth. I tend to muddle through and learn as it becomes necessary. Stupid question #1- what program do I use to edit the file you mentioned, and where is it? Yes, I CAN figure it out myself, but a hint would help....  #2- will that fix the movies collection? The guns is not extensive, I can easily rebuild it, and yes, I did create a new model for that one. may have done it incorrectly, and/or not saved the model properly. I'll try again to attach the file here.

Thanks again for your generosity in terms of time and attention!

Wayne

Attachments:
Attachment Icon Guns.gcs, Size: 8,223 bytes, Downloads: 43

#8 2017-03-25 19:08:12

Catdaddy

So I installed Catfish, to look for the file

GCGraphicomponents/GCBasicWidgets.pm

I could not locate it.

Last edited by Catdaddy (2017-03-25 19:09:09)

#9 2017-03-25 23:11:42

kerenoc
Website

The bug is related to the user interface of GCstar but it may prevent some models of collection to be loaded correctly. I don't know.

The Perl script of GCstar should be in the subdirectories of /usr/local/lib/gcstar.

As the movie files was corrupted, unless you have a prior version, you may need to create it. My advice would be to create a simple text list of all the titles and to import it in a new movie collection (option "list of names"), letting GCstar fetch the description from the web sites.

And then make backups of all your collections files regularly!

#10 2017-03-28 22:25:55

Catdaddy

Nope- not finding it. Not even when I search "gcstar" with catfish. I assume i should make this correction (when I find the perl script) BEFORE I try the text file of the movies list as an import?

Thanks again

#11 2017-03-29 22:35:57

kerenoc
Website

In a shell terminal window, try

Code:

find / -name gcstar -print

or

Code:

find / -name GCBaseWidgets.pm -print

In my environment, the Movie model was ok even with the bug.

#12 2017-03-29 23:59:26

Catdaddy

I found a great deal of gcstar stuff in usr/share/lib. I'll try to locate the file and edit it. I DID import the text list and that worked, but it actually removed the names of most of the movies, and I had to go back and type them back in. It would be sweet to find a site where the genre would download. Nevertheless, I now have a movies file to work with. Thanks again.

#13 2017-03-30 20:34:31

kerenoc
Website

In the Test branch of my Gitlab GCstar repository, the Allmovie plugin was modified to work again and fetch genre and cast information. Beware that this version of GCPlugins/GCfilms/GCAllmovie.pm needs to  download 2 web pages for each film and thus requires the modified version of GCPlugins/GCPluginsBase.pm.

#14 2017-03-30 22:11:51

Catdaddy

kerenoc wrote:

In the Test branch of my Gitlab GCstar repository, the Allmovie plugin was modified to work again and fetch genre and cast information. Beware that this version of GCPlugins/GCfilms/GCAllmovie.pm needs to  download 2 web pages for each film and thus requires the modified version of GCPlugins/GCPluginsBase.pm.

That's great! Can you walk me through installing those files? I'm actually getting cast, but not genre, so that would make updating the info faster.

Thanks again. it's very kind of you to help me tweak this.

Wayne

#15 2017-03-31 21:17:32

kerenoc
Website

The simpliest way to install these files may be to download the Zip archive of the Test branch, extract it somewhere on your computer and copy the entire lib/gcstar directory over the old version /usr/lib/gcstar. You should get all newer version of plugins including Allmovie and Imdb (integrated today).

• Index
  •  » Bug reports
  •  » Error when opening movies collection: Cannot open items list

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.