• Index
  •  » Bug reports
  •  » Change Collection Fields does not work in Stamps Collection

#1 2018-04-17 14:01:22

LSemmens

Change Collection Fields does not work in Stamps Collection

If you attempt to create a new field when in stamps collection the best that you can hope for is that a new tab is created with a label for the field but no field is generated.

At worst, it crashes the program with this message

duplicate attribute at line 77, column 2, byte 2059 at
  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.22/XML/Parser.pm line 187.

After this all I can do is delete the collection and start again. It's a pity because this program may be the answer to my needs. With minor mods, it would be perfect, however, I'd be happy if it just works as is.

Using GCstar 1.7.1
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)

#2 2018-04-18 10:41:54

kerenoc
Website

Re: Change Collection Fields does not work in Stamps Collection

Hello,

I checked the stamps collection model. Along with the magazines one, it uses non-semantic field values, for example the field "gcsfield1" holds the name of the stamp, "gcsfield2" holds the country, "gcsfield33" hold the date of purchase, etc. It means that the XML file used to save a collection is not very easy to read!

Furthermore when one creates a new field, for models provided by GCstar, GCstar creates new fields starting with "gcsfield1", thus colliding with the existing fields!

A quick and dirty fix that would only work in your local environnement would be to change some source files to use the prefix "gcs_field" for local fields.

A better solution would be to rename semantically the fields in the model for stamps collections (and magazines that suffer from the same bug). In that case, existing collections would need to be migrated, using for example a small shell script that could be provided.

Any advice from stamps collectors in this forum?

By the way, how did you install GCstar on this new Mint version?

Last edited by kerenoc (2018-04-18 10:45:09)

• Index
  •  » Bug reports
  •  » Change Collection Fields does not work in Stamps Collection

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.