• Index
  •  » Support
  •  » Barcode Scanner and adding movies on Linux (debian 9 stretch)

#1 2018-09-02 22:02:31

EZingers

Barcode Scanner and adding movies on Linux (debian 9 stretch)

I open GCstar and select "movie collection", then choose "Network (eg: GCstar Scanner for Android)", "Amazon (US)". Then I check "Select first one if many results" and select :Create a new collection". I leave it on port 50007, the default, then press import and the "Waiting for barcode" dialogue box comes up. After that I open the GCstar scanner, check my IP address and make sure it's on the same port, port 50007 then click start. I scan the barcode on my movie and it seems to do just fine scanning the barcode. But when I return to the program my laptop and click "Done" on the "Waiting for barcode" dialogue box, I can tell the program is searching for it, but that's all it does. It just runs the search. Doesn't even come back with a 0 results, can't find it or nothing. Just keeps running the search. I even tried to do this manually using the "Local (use as a keyboard)" and typing the barcode myself. Granted, I'm not sure exactly how the barcode suppose to be entered. I know I have to enter the 12 digits including the signal small numbers before and after the 10 bigger numbers in between. What I don't know is if there is a space between each set of numbers or if it's just one big number. In any case, it does the same thing. I even tried clicking on "+ Add Movie" and entering the movie the title manually and press "Fetch Information". with some sources from the source list it does the same thing and with other sources it comes back with 0 results. It never finds it. Why is it not working?

#2 2018-09-03 15:37:28

kerenoc
Website

Re: Barcode Scanner and adding movies on Linux (debian 9 stretch)

Could you give more information on which version of GCstar you're using? Plugins depend on web scrapping and it's important to have their up-to-date versions.

Beware that not all plugins allow searches based on EAN numbers. Amazon should be fine though. I checked Amazon US : it's working for 3388330030810 Volver.

#3 2018-09-03 21:54:01

EZingers

Yes. I have GCstar 1.7.1

P.S. I also realized that if I do enter in the title manually through the "+ Add Movie" button and it does find something, it won't load any information in any of the fields.

Last edited by EZingers (2018-09-03 22:00:20)

#4 2018-09-03 22:11:44

EZingers

What is 3388330030810 Volver?

#5 2018-09-04 09:05:30

kerenoc
Website

3388330030810 is the EAN number of a DVD of the film Volver that I successfully found on Amazon US.

Version 1.7.1 is outdated, unfortunately it's the latest version packaged for some Linux distribution. But you can manually install the latest version following these instructions. You should be able to skip the installation of Perl.

#6 2018-09-06 01:08:46

EZingers

OK! I did download the latest version of GCStar from the link you gave me and fallowed the install instructions for Linux, however, because I had a earlier version, I had to fallow  the "If GCstar was already installed, copy the gcstar script in the appropriate binaries directory (probably /usr/bin, check with the "which gcstar" command) and copy the lib directory in the libraries directory (probably /usr/lib/gcstar)" instruction which really didn't work for me. So... I took a chance on clicking on the install file. That worked, but I didn't have permission so it wouldn't install. So I figured I needed to run it as administrator. So I opened up the terminal and ran it with sudo command. That worked, however, at the end of the install, I noticed it was looking for OpenOffice  application which failed (of course) with no such file or directory. The GCStar program still opens and all, even though I didn't try to add movies or anything else yet, I just don't know why it needs an office suite like OpenOffice, I don't think OpenOffice is even available for Linux anyway. The Linux version of this is LibreOffice. It's made by the same company and it is the same program as OpenOffice, it's just that it's made for Linux and called LibreOffice instead. So... if this is important, how do I get the install to look for LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice?

#7 2018-09-07 19:42:27

kerenoc
Website

I can't find a reason why the installation should require OpenOffice or any other document application.

I check the install Perl script on a Debian 9 VM : it generate some warning about deprecated call in an MP3 librarie but GCstar runs fine after that.

• Index
  •  » Support
  •  » Barcode Scanner and adding movies on Linux (debian 9 stretch)

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.