#1 2011-01-08 19:57:50

unclepetros

Retrieving Audio disc info under WindowsXP/7 with Musicbrainz-DiscID

As already explained here, actually it is not possible in GCStar to retrieve audio disc info under Windows XP/Vista/7.
This is due to a bug in the Net::FreeDB module.
I've opened two tickets in the CPAN page of the module, but they are still without answer.

So, some months ago I've posted a temporary patch fix based on MCI Win32 API (Media Controller Interface).
However, MCI Interface is not able to recognize data tracks in Audio disc, and this cause wrong discid calculation on these audio disc.

A few days ago I've found a very good and clean solution.
It is to use MusicBrainz-DiscID perl binding of the libdiscid library (http://musicbrainz.org/doc/libdiscid).

I've posted a tutorial on how to compile this module under Windows and GNU/Linux (Ubuntu).
It's available here: http://forums.gcstar.org/viewtopic.php?id=1825 .

So I've created a patch that simply replace the method getdiscdata(...) of the Net::FreeDB module with the freedb_id() one of the MusicBrainz::DiscID module, but only under Windows operating system; otherwise nothing is changed.
So, under GNU/Linux the MusicBrainz::DiscID module is not needed.

However, I think the best would be to do a full replace of the Net::FreeDB module with the MusicBrainz::DiscID one (it's quite simple to do a full replace: just a few lines of code need to be modified).
What do you think? Let me know.
Personally I like this new module, because it is clean, light and very portable.

In the attachment the patch. It works like a charm!

I hope Tian, or Zombiepig will do a commit of the patch in the next stable version.

Regards
UnclePetros

Last edited by unclepetros (2011-01-08 20:02:02)

Attachments:
Attachment Icon GCExtractMusics.pm.patch.zip, Size: 758 bytes, Downloads: 426

#2 2011-01-08 20:01:25

unclepetros

Re: Retrieving Audio disc info under WindowsXP/7 with Musicbrainz-DiscID

The patch here!

Attachments:
Attachment Icon GCExtractMusics.pm.patch.zip, Size: 758 bytes, Downloads: 425

#3 2011-02-17 06:40:15

unclepetros

Re: Retrieving Audio disc info under WindowsXP/7 with Musicbrainz-DiscID

Hi,
Any chance to see it in the 1.6.2 version?
or in a future version?

Do let me know...

Regards
UnclePetros

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.