#1 2019-04-28 06:49:09

tdl

Depository of your databases

Hi all,

Years ago, I created a list of beers for a database for the Palm Pilot (so you know this is going back a LONG time), where users could check off beers they had drunk. Is there a place within these forums - or a web site - where people post a database they created already, and others can then download these and use them as checklist of "accomplishments". Comics is well established, but that's all comics, not a subset that someone might actually be collecting.

I'm thinking of many other types -

Beers drunk (yes, there are many apps that do this now)
States/countries visited
State quarters collected (yes, there is an app for this, too)
Baseball cards (hockey, basketball, NFL, and maybe even cricket or soccer?)
Movies seen/owned (of a specific genre? - James Bond, MCU, Star Wars...)
Sherlock Holmes novels/movies

I'm not talking about templates - there are several and I've used/adapted several of those. I'm talking about pre-generated GCCollection databases where the user is just marking their personal info - seen/owned/read/experienced.

Thank you!

John

#2 2019-04-29 08:05:41

kerenoc
Website

Re: Depository of your databases

To my knowledge there is no repository for reference databases as GCstar collections.

Collection models (templates) can be shared as open source and some were included in the program itself (I recently added the model for music courses).

For databases, they may contain data that would require other types of licences as some of the information could be copyrighed or subjects to trademarks. If some dedicated web sites are already collecting this reference information and solved the legal aspects, the best way would be to reuse their database.

Some of these sites appear to allow easy exportation in CSV format (for example on beers or whiskies!). For each model availables in GCstar, I could maintain a list of such reference sites and explain for each site how to import their database in GCstar, after checking that the formats are compatible.

#3 2019-04-29 08:34:00

tdl

Some might have copyright issues, but I doubt a list of countries, for example, would. I could see a bunch of people wanting it - checklist for visited, then some info, and a place to put photos, a link to a gallery of your visit, and a notes section. Countries don't change that often.

#4 2019-04-30 07:30:32

kerenoc
Website

If you provide a GCM file for GCstar and a link to export a reference list, I can check that importation is working (I already had to enhance the CSV importation to support a new file format).

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.