#1 2007-05-18 20:24:01

zserghei

Plugins for russian sites

Hi.

I've written plugins for a couple of Russian movies databases:

** Removed **

I have also written two plugins, that export film database to LaTeX file. The resulting file is in UTF8 and uses package "ucs".

#2 2007-05-18 23:00:15

Tian
Administrator
Website

Re: Plugins for russian sites

Hello,

Thank you for this job. But unfortunately the french law (GCstar and this forum are hosted in France) forbids any mention about peer to peer networks. And it looks like your websites are related to this. So I had to remove them and your attachement also. I am really sorry about this.

#3 2007-05-19 11:37:20

zserghei

I didn't know about this law. I think you may still publish two plugins that are not related to p2p networks.
* www.animator.ru - a database of Soviet and Russian cartoons
* www.nashekino.ru - a database of Soviet and Russian movies

Export plugins also don't contain any information about p2p.

Attachments:
Attachment Icon gcstar2.zip, Size: 5,992 bytes, Downloads: 546

#4 2007-05-20 00:05:34

Tian
Administrator
Website

Thank you for your comprehension. This law is quite recent but we have to conform to it...

Thanks also for the new version of your package. I began to have a look to the Latex plugins. They look really great. I have just a few remarks about them. If you don't have time for this, I'll try to implement this, based on your work. But I am not really familiar with Latex. So it will take me a lot of time.

1/ I think it will be easier for users and for maintenance to have only one plugin. It could have an option with a checkbox "Export all items". Or something similar.

2/ It would be better to have an internationalized version of this plugin. Instead of hardcoded labels, it could use the translated ones. As an example, for director, you may use $self->{model}->getDisplayedLabel('director') to get the correct label in the current language. The same goes for all of the fields.

3/ It seems you are using the 'number' field to identify the movies. This is not the initial purpose of this field. It's supposed to be used to store the number of media to store the movie (e.g. it will contain 1 if your movie is on one disc, and 2 if it has been splitted on 2 discs). As there is no field that could be used by default for what you need, maybe there could be another option in this plugin to let the user select the field that should be used to group items on the same medium. There is no way to easily create an option containing all the available fields. But if you also think it could be a good idea, I could add a new type of option. Something such as 'fields selector'.

4/ Maybe in a second phase, this plugin could be adapted to all the default collections. There could be some templates such as for HTML export that could contain the list of the fields to export and the size of the frames. For the moment as it only supports movies collection, this method should be added to inform GCstar:

Code:

sub getModels
    {
        return ['GCfilms'];
    }

Please let me know what you think about all of these remarks.

#5 2007-05-20 09:08:52

zserghei

1. I combined two plugins that export db to LaTeX and made a checkbox, that allows exporting of either all db or information about films, that are stored on a single media.

2. The new version is internationalized, but I added some abbreviations for Russian language in method getLocal.

3. The 'number' field is used to group movies by media. The resulting LaTex file contains information in "frames" of size 120x120 mm, that may be used as CD/DVD covers.

4. I added method getModels.

Attachments:
Attachment Icon GCExportLatex.pm, Size: 5,256 bytes, Downloads: 539

#6 2007-05-21 06:06:21

Tian
Administrator
Website

Thanks again.

I already added this version to the CVS repository. It only needs a few changes now I think.

The plugins could also have their own translated text. So no label should be hardcoded in the plugin itself. It concerns the labels for the option. You may use here an identifier that refers to a value in the language file for the plugin. But as it will require the creation of a lot of files (one for each supported language), I will handle this, so don't care about it.

Concerning point 3, you don't agree that it would be nice to let the user select the field to use to group movies? If I am not clear with this requirement, I'll try to do the changes by myself to show you what I mean.

Another option could let the user choose the format for the generated covers. Some of them could want to print them in DVD size. But I don't know if there are some standard for this also.

I know I am adding a lot of things on top of your plugin. But I am quite excited with it because it's a feature a lot of users wanted since a long time. So I am happy to know it will be available in a future version and I want it to fill all of the requirements the users have.

#7 2007-10-09 19:25:18

netimen

How do I install the downloaded modules?

#8 2007-10-13 06:06:05

Tian
Administrator
Website

Hello,

The LaTeX plugin was so amazing that I forgot the websites plugins in this topic. I am really sorry about that. I added them to CVS. So they will be available in next version. I also added them to the update repository. Then to install them on a 1.2.2 version, one just has to follow these instructions:

http://wiki.gcstar.org/en/update

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.