• Index
  •  » Other news
  •  » New installer for Windows systems - Testers needed

#1 2008-02-05 20:25:26

Tian
Administrator
Website

New installer for Windows systems - Testers needed

I just created a new installer for Windows systems. Actually, it is not a real installer, but just an archive containing everything. That means all of the dependencies that GCstar needs to run, including Perl and Gtk2. You just have to download this file :

http://gcfilmslogo.free.fr/GCstar.win32 … .3.2-2.zip (around 12MB)

Just extract this archive somewhere on your disk, and then launch gcstar.bat that is in bin subdirectory. Do not hesitate to report any problem in this topic. If it doesn't work for you, it would be nice if you could try to launch gcstar.bat from a console and copy here the error reported. Also please try to test this version on some Windows machines where GCstar has never been installed before to be sure there is none of the dependencies.

If everything is OK, there will be then an installer that will use this version. It will also possible to put GCstar on a USB key and uses it everywhere with no installation.

Thanks a lot for your help.

#2 2008-02-05 23:08:07

toroman

Re: New installer for Windows systems - Testers needed

I tested it on my old machine and it worked perfectly, startup was a little bit slow first time (perhaps 30 seconds), but it worked quickly after then. I guess it has to be that way because of GTK libraries. It seems OK to me, just don't forget to set English as a default language wink I was surprised how good (native) it looks on winblows.
Good work people!

#3 2008-02-06 00:16:54

zombiepig

Test on two XP workstations and one Vista one, none of which had run gcstar before.
One one of the XP boxes and the Vista boxes there was no problems, besides the lengthy first startup mentioned by toroman (and the defaulting to french tongue)

One the other XP box I get the error:

This application has failed to start because MSVCR711.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.

And in the command window:

Can't load 'C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\par-reception\cache-621d28851f284

7a11c5eefacaf6b37f93da5c69c/Glib.dll' for module Glib: load_file:The specified m

odule could not be found at C:/Perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 229.

at C:/Perl/site/lib/PAR/Heavy.pm line 87

Compilation failed in require at Gtk2.pm line 30.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Gtk2.pm line 30.

Compilation failed in require at C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\par-receptio

n\cache-621d28851f2847a11c5eefacaf6b37f93da5c69c\inc\lib/GCOptions.pm line 26.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\par-rece

ption\cache-621d28851f2847a11c5eefacaf6b37f93da5c69c\inc\lib/GCOptions.pm line 2

Compilation failed in require at script/gcstar line 77.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at script/gcstar line 77.

Note: I first tried to run gcstar from a network location on this box, and maybe that caused the problem? I then copied it to the local drive but still kept receiving this message.

#4 2008-02-06 07:50:42

Tian
Administrator
Website

Thanks a lot to both of you for your tests.

Sorry about the french version. I just forgot to change that before packing. That is fixed in this new version:

http://gcfilmslogo.free.fr/GCstar.win32 … .3.2-1.zip

(It has been changed in 1st post also)

I also added the MSVCR711.dll file in a place where it should be found. Let me know if you still have problem with that.

Concerning the 1st startup, it is normal as the .exe that is in bin directory is generated using pp from PAR::Packer, a really nice tool smile It compresses all the required perl modules and the GCstar sources in one single executable. Then on 1st startup, they are extracted in a directory that will be used as a cache next time.

#5 2008-02-06 23:32:46

toroman

Users would appreciate some kind of feedback during that initial startup... just an idea wink

To do this, we might put an lightweight application that will open a splash window before launching "real" gcstar.exe. This is something "we Java programmers" have to use so often that it is included in the Java program itself. You just say $ java -splash:momma.jpg JStar

Sorry for the OT smile

Somebody could/should make that splash screen. Me perhaps. In pure assembler.

#6 2008-02-07 10:45:47

Tian
Administrator
Website

toroman wrote:

Users would appreciate some kind of feedback during that initial startup... just an idea.

That would be great. But I have no idea how this could be done as it should be embedded in the .exe generated by PAR. Or maybe it should be launched in background and have a way to check when the real executable is launched.

If someone with knowledge of Windows programming know ways to perform that, they are welcome.

#7 2008-02-08 04:46:11

zombiepig

zombiepig wrote:

This application has failed to start because MSVCR711.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.

Latest version works fine on this PC now!

#8 2008-02-17 12:36:03

float

Hi,

i tried to run it on a vista x64 machine. gcstar wasn't installed before. it works fine.

but can't the console be closed when gcstar is loaded?

EDIT: when i make a shortcut to the windows start menu it won't start. i must run the GCstar.bat directly from the /bin/ folder. weird.

BTW.: why is there no option to import gcstar files at the first start?

Last edited by float (2008-02-17 12:41:18)

#9 2008-02-18 09:59:02

Tian
Administrator
Website

float wrote:

i tried to run it on a vista x64 machine. gcstar wasn't installed before. it works fine.

Thank you for this test.

but can't the console be closed when gcstar is loaded?

EDIT: when i make a shortcut to the windows start menu it won't start. i must run the GCstar.bat directly from the /bin/ folder. weird.

I think both of these issues can be fixed with some options on the shortcut itself. For the 2nd one, I think you can specify the directory from where it should be run.

BTW.: why is there no option to import gcstar files at the first start?

Just because nobody implemented that wink

#10 2008-02-18 12:04:21

thechronic

Just tested on Windows XP Professional SP2, works fine

#11 2008-02-18 19:36:53

float

Hi,

just tested it on another vista computer. it has the same hardware as mine.

D:\GCstar-1.3.2-1\GCstar\bin>gcstar.bat

Failed to open file 'C:\Users\baxter\AppData\Local\Temp\par-baxter\cache-621d288
51f2847a11c5eefacaf6b37f93da5c69c/inc/share/logos/splash.png': No such file or d
irectory at C:\Users\baxter\AppData\Local\Temp\par-baxter\cache-621d28851f2847a1
1c5eefacaf6b37f93da5c69c\3723b892.pm line 91.

Thats the error message. Got an idea?

#12 2008-02-18 19:37:35

zhum

WONDERFULL product! I had just installed it on USB-key. Works fine on WInXP SP2, except one thing. If I try to load descriptions from non-english sites (russian), then GCStar throws exception:
*** unhandled exception in callback:
***   Unknown encoding 'KOI8-R' at C:\DOCUME~1\Super\LOCALS~1\Temp\par-Super\cache-621d28851f2847a11c5eefacaf6b37f93da5c69c\inc\lib/GCPlugins/GCPluginsBase.pm line 78

After this exception it works, but get no descritpions.
  The same bug has been throwed with WINDOWS-1251 encoding.

Another thing: '+' and '-' buttons have no images in all places (e.g. at "subtitles").

Last edited by zhum (2008-02-18 19:44:26)

#13 2008-02-19 11:12:07

Sergio Yinyang

Hello.

Thank your for your software.

I've got Windows XP SP2 (With Spanish language) and I've got GCStar 1.22  in my sistem and dependencies (For problems with next versions)

If I launch GCstar from the explorer of Windows, a Window cmd.exe open and immediately it Close.

From the Prompt It reporte:

"Failed to open file 'C:\DOCUME~1\Sergio\CONFIG~1\Temp\par-Sergio\cache-621d28851
f2847a11c5eefacaf6b37f93da5c69c/inc/share/logos/splash.png': No such file or dir
ectory at C:\DOCUME~1\Sergio\CONFIG~1\Temp\par-Sergio\cache-621d28851f2847a11c5e
efacaf6b37f93da5c69c\3723b892.pm line 91."

Thank you.
Greetings.

#14 2008-02-19 14:17:25

Tian
Administrator
Website

Thank you for your feedback.

Concerning the error with splash.png, I may have an idea about how to fix this issue. I'll try to create a new version without this problem.

For the problem with encoding (KOI8-R), did it happen when trying to use a fetch plugin? Which one was used? If this is not linked to that, please give more information about the steps that could be used to trigger this bug.

#15 2008-02-24 00:20:53

s79

Hi

I'm  try launch programm in my computer WinXP(install two perl version
ActiveState Perl 5.10 in C:\Perl
ActiveState  Perl v5.8.7 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread in Z:\Perl)
and get:

Code:

IO object version 1.21 does not match bootstrap parameter 1.23 at C:/Perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 252.
Compilation failed in require at C:/Perl/lib/IO/Handle.pm line 263.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Perl/lib/IO/Handle.pm line 263.
Compilation failed in require at C:/Perl/lib/IO/Seekable.pm line 101.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Perl/lib/IO/Seekable.pm line 101.
Compilation failed in require at C:/Perl/lib/IO/File.pm line 133.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Perl/lib/IO/File.pm line 133.
Compilation failed in require at -e line 313.

after research I'm find what use perl in Z:\Perl (but refered perl on csmile. I'm try work with Perl 5.10 but get Windows crytical error application.
What version Perl must be used?

#16 2008-02-24 17:23:33

Tian
Administrator
Website

s79 wrote:

What version Perl must be used?

None because this new version comes with an embedded Perl interpreter. But it's strange that if one is found, it makes everything failing this way.

#17 2008-02-24 18:55:52

Tian
Administrator
Website

I edited first post with new version that should fix issues with splash.png not found. It should also let users update the plugins thanks to the corresponding feature.

It took me a long time to create it, because I need to do so in a virtual PC with Windows running. So if someone wants to take care of this generation for next releases, he/she is welcome wink

#18 2008-02-26 10:17:32

zhum

Tian wrote:

T
For the problem with encoding (KOI8-R), did it happen when trying to use a fetch plugin?

Yes.

Which one was used?

Both russian fetch plugins. In one case there was KOI-8, in other - WINDOWS-1251 encoding...
  I had try to fetch info about films in russian.

#19 2008-02-27 18:12:59

zhum

Just had try 1.3.2-2 version. Russian sites didn't work again:

Code:

D:\GCstar\bin>gcstar.bat
***   Unknown encoding 'KOI8-R' at D:\GCstar\lib\gcstar/GCPlugins/GCPluginsBase.pm line 78
***  ignoring at script/gcstar line 294.
***   Unknown encoding 'Windows-1251' at D:\GCstar\lib\gcstar/GCPlugins/GCPluginsBase.pm line 78
***  ignoring at script/gcstar line 294.

I had tested both russian fetch plugins on film '12 стульев'.

PS: One extra 'wish'. Is it possible to put country code fo each fetch plugin in config list (select only these sites)?

#20 2008-03-10 21:18:42

the-jackal

This has been recomended to me so I thought I would give it a try. I am using Windows xp SP2.

Here are my thoughts as a complete noob to this software and having never usedlinux either.

I downloaded the ling at the begining and followed the instructions. It all seems to work but it is still in french.

I had first downloaded the software from here and then when I got the zipped pack from this thread I unzipped to C:\Program Files
This created a shortcut that worked on the desktop.

I have some dependencies missing (top 3 in list) and I am not sure how to get them.

I downloaded the theme pack from the page I linked to above and they will not load. I get the message

" The GTK +2.0 libraries are missing"

A simple google search sorted that out though.

I am going to have another play with this and will report back. It would be nice if noobs could have step by step instructions on how to install this. It has taken me about 2 hours so far.

I am in the UK and it would be nice if the info was downloaded from UK sites also. Like Amazon.co.uk and imdb.co.uk

Cheers

The Jackal

#21 2008-03-11 10:35:41

Tian
Administrator
Website

the-jackal wrote:

I am going to have another play with this and will report back. It would be nice if noobs could have step by step instructions on how to install this. It has taken me about 2 hours so far.

I'd like that too wink As I don't use Windows systems, it would be nice if someone could do so. That's why the documentation is on a wiki to let people add information.

With the zip here, you should just have to extract it somewhere. And you don't need to install something else. But it is still experimental.

Does it work for you or dou still have some problems? If you have some missing dependencies in the application, that could be normal because some modules are not available for Win32 (such as Gtk2::Spell). But they are optional so it should not prevent you from using GCstar. Just a few features will be disabled.

#22 2008-03-11 10:42:38

zhum

Tian wrote:

As I don't use Windows systems, it would be nice if someone could do so. That's why the documentation is on a wiki to let people add information.

Is it possible to create/modify GCStar windows port by self? Is this process documeted? If yes. I can try to fix some bugs by myself and send you pathces smile

#23 2008-03-11 14:01:02

Tian
Administrator
Website

zhum wrote:

Is it possible to create/modify GCStar windows port by self? Is this process documeted?

There is no specific documentation yet. But the code is exactly the same as the linux one. There are only a few places with code such as that:

if ($^O =~ /win32/i)

To some some platform-specific process.

As this is some Perl code, you only need a text editor to modify the code. The development and the runtime environments are exactly the same.

There is a few documentation for developers here:

http://wiki.gcstar.org/en#developer_documentation

#24 2008-03-11 15:34:18

zhum

Ok.  But how can I create a distribution like you distribute? Which can be written on the flash drive and work anywhere? On some reasons I cannot install full perl and gtk on my windows notebook...

#25 2008-03-17 13:20:23

gueba

Hi,
I installed the new versions on two machines with XP pro SP2 and XP home SP2. Quick and easy! When launching gcstar.bat, a DOS window pops up and stays visible until you close gcstar. This can be solved as described here: http://forums.gcstar.org/viewtopic.php?id=546.
In the book collection module, the simple "Find-function" (Ctrl+F) doesn't work. It always gives a "no items match your criteria". The advanced search and quick search in "Filter-menu" work fine.

• Index
  •  » Other news
  •  » New installer for Windows systems - Testers needed

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.