#1 2009-01-12 21:45:45

petitprince

Import File Management

Dear,

Thanks a lot, GCstar is great.

I have a lot of ebooks and movies. So, how can I import them quickly into my collection?

I read a good idea for GNOME 3.0, and I think it's useful for GCstar:
http://dvhart.com/content/blog/dvhart/l … ohn_stultz

Following this idea, when user import his ebooks or movies to GCstar's data, GCstar will search info every file. If GCstar couldn't find the info, user put it late.

Other hand, GCstar will be better if it has a filter panel like Songbird, ITune or Rhythmbox...

Thanks,
PP

#2 2009-01-13 21:01:22

Tian
Administrator
Website

Re: Import File Management

Hello,

First, thank you for thinking GCstar is great wink

It's already possible to do what you want for movies. There is an import plugin that can be used for that purpose. Its name is 'Folder'.

It can also be used from command line as described here:

http://wiki.gcstar.org/en/execution

Then it can be integrated to a system such as the one that is described in this interesting article.

#3 2009-02-11 20:49:03

petitprince

Here is my new idea for File manager:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/17937/

There is some thing interesting for Gcstar.

#4 2009-04-29 05:19:35

simon

As far as I can tell, the "Folder" import doesn't work.

Here's what I'd like to achieve;

1. Point GCSTAR at a folder containing movies or television episodes.
2. GCStar to consider the filenames inside the folder and perform a web search of the various online databases of film and television.
3. GCSTAR to present me with the results of the searches so that I can confirm that the details are correct.
4. GCSTAR to populate its database with the detail and the file path detail.

I'd also like GCSTAR to be smart about this. I'd like it to be able to look into a folder at files like this;

World's Fastest Indian, The [part 1 of 2) [2005].avi
World's Fastest Indian, The [part 2 of 2) [2005].avi

..and determine that the name of the film was "The World's Fastest Indian" released in 2005, and that it's stored on disk in two files.

Similarly, I'd like GCSTAR to look in a folder at files like this;

Orphanage, The [2007].avi
Orphanage, The [2007].srt

..and determine that the title of the film is "The Orphanage" released in 2007 and that it is subtitled.

Finally, I'd like GCSTAR to look into a directory of television episodes that looks like this;

Mad Men - S01E01 - Smoke Gets in Your Eyes.avi
Mad Men - S01E02 - Ladies Room.avi
Mad Men - S01E03 - Marriage of Figaro.avi

..and determine that there are three titled episodes from series one of a show called "Mad Men."

GCSTAR looks like the best candidate application to achieve this. Is it possible or am I dreaming?

Last edited by simon (2009-04-29 05:21:52)

#5 2009-05-07 00:02:20

bubblegum

Hi,

It is possible, the problem is to be flexible enough to recognize your way of naming files as well as the others.

what's about a movie named "mars 2046" or serie in folder "S07" named "1. blabla" ?

I can easily hardcode some rules, but, we have to be smart enough to avoid problems

Tell me all the naming convention that can be recognized, and I will see what i can do.

Bubblegum

EDIT : We can also just ask you for a regexp ....

Last edited by bubblegum (2009-05-07 00:03:55)

Bubblegum

#6 2009-05-13 07:19:54

simon

Bubblegum, the convention works like this, much of which is standard for the distribution of media I think because I see stuff like this around a fair bit. It presumes that FILES are used for indexing, not DIRECTORIES.

The Movie filename convention is;

Alphabetised title (part x of y) [release date] . filetype

where;

Alphabetised title is MANDATORY the title as it would be filed in a library, e.g. A Tale of Two Cities becomes Tale of Two Cities, A

(part x of y) is OPTIONAL and indicates that a movie file comprises more than one file.

[release date] is MANDATORY and indicates the date that the film was released, according to http://imdb.com

filetype is MANDATORY the file suffix, such as mkv or avi.

The only exception case is for a separate text file that has the same file name but an extension like .srt to indicate that it's a subtitle.

The Television Series filename convention is;

Alphabetised Show Title - SnnEnn - Episode Title (part x of y) . filetype

where;

Alphabetised title is MANDATORY the show name as it would be filed in a library, e.g. The Young Ones becomes Young Ones, The

- is a MANDATORY field delimiter though other characters can be used (and in my view, should be as dashes "-" occasionally appear in film and television titles.)

SnnEnn is MANDATORY. The S (series) is followed by a two digit numeric and the E (episode) is followed by a two-digit numeric. Example: S01E01 is the first episode of the first series.

Episode title is MANDATORY. It is not alphabetised as it's not used for indexing.

filetype is MANDATORY the file suffix, such as mkv or avi.

(part x of y) is OPTIONAL and indicates that a television episode file comprises more than one file.

One exception case is for a separate text file that has the same file name but an extension like .srt to indicate that it's a subtitle for the given episode.

Another exception case is where a file contains more than one episode, indicated by an ampersand, like S01E01&E02 AND title episode one & title episode two. Example:

Young Ones, The - S01E01&E02 - Demolition & Oil.avi indicates that both Episodes 1 and Episodes 2 of the first series are included in the file and that the titles of the episodes are Demolition and Oil respectively.

Problems:

-Dashes ("-") as delimiters can clash with titles as some titles include dashes.
-Ampersands ("&") as indicators of multiple episodes within a file can clash with titles as some titles includes ampersands.
-There's no contingency for files that contain more than two episodes (though I've never seen a file that does, Some Series - S01E01&E02&E03 - title 1 & title 2 & title 3.avi is cumbersome.

Comments and improvements appreciated.

Last edited by simon (2009-05-14 09:11:22)

#7 2009-05-13 14:43:38

bubblegum

Hi Simon,

That's really the answer I never expected, and that's great !

All of this can be easily implemeted as I've already coded something thats apply an regexp like

Code:

$T(, $A)?(\[part $n of $t\])\($Y\)

can [part x of y] be localized ?
what is the release date format ? localized ?
is there a way to indicate the subtitle language ?

GCstar will have problems to handle multiple episode in a file :
should i create 2 item with the same file ?
The best will be to do this and have a start time (guessed as totTime/totEpisode*numEpisode)

The dash problem is solved by the mandatory SNNENN part, that imply the position of the dashes

I think the best way to handle this is to have an combobox (TexBox with historic) with this 2 hardcoded mask and authorize the user to use an other one. Because It's easier to import all the movies with their actual name and then ask GCstar to rename them.

Thanks a lot for your answer, it will help me to do something more "standard" !

Bubblegum

Last edited by bubblegum (2009-05-14 01:28:56)

Bubblegum

#8 2009-05-14 01:03:47

simon

bubblegum wrote:

Hi Simon,

That's really the answer I never expected, and that's great !

I appreciate that you're even looking at it! Your comments annotated below..

All of this can be easily implemeted as I've already coded something thats apply an regexp like

Code:

$T(, $A)?(\[part $n of $t\])\($Y\)

can [part x of y] be localized ?

Yes it can be localised.

what is the release date format ? localized ?

I've only seen it as a four-digit year (e.g. "2008") as this is the format http://imdb.com uses. I can't see any reason not to localise though.

GCstar will have problems to handle multiple episode in a file :
should i create 2 item with the same file ?

Yes I think that's correct, GCstar should have two episode entries that both point to the same file.

The reverse case is also true - where GCstar encounters more than one file it should create only one item, e.g.;

Some Movie, The (part 1 of 2) [2008].avi
Some Movie, The (part 1 of 2) [2008].srt
Some Movie, The (part 2 of 2) [2008].avi
Some Movie, The (part 2 of 2) [2008].srt

(this is the worst edge case example I could think of) All four of these files are the same item; two parts of a movie each with their own subtitle.

The best will be to do this and have a start time (guessed as totTime/totEpisode*numEpisode)

Nice smile

The dash problem is solved by the mandatory SNNENN part, that imply the position of the dashes

True, I hadn't thought of that!

I think the best way to handle this is to have an combobox (TexBox with historic) with this 2 hardcoded mask and authorize the user to use an other one. Because It's easier to import all the movies with their actual name and then ask GCstar to rename them.

That seems to make sense.

Thanks a lot for your answer, it will help me to do something more "standard" !

Bubblegum

Thanks for looking into this Bubblegum, really appreciate you taking the time.

-Simon

#9 2009-05-14 02:41:14

bubblegum

Hi,

Thanks for being so fast to answer ! it's really helpful

BubbleGum

Bubblegum

#10 2009-05-14 09:17:01

simon

bubblegum wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for being so fast to answer ! it's really helpful

No problem, happy than happy to engage with you on this issue. What's your timezone? I'm GMT+12.

Not that I can see. For two reasons;

1. The contents of a subtitle file do not state the language. Here's a snippet as example from "Pan's Labyrinth [2006].srt"

00:00:42,489 --> 00:00:48,860

Spain, 1944

00:00:50,063 --> 00:00:51,431

The Civil War is over.

00:00:51,431 --> 00:00:53,567

Hidden in the mountains,

2. The media players I use (VLC, Xine, MPlayer) only seem to be able to load the subtitle file if it has an identical filename to the media file, so as an example;

Pan's Labyrinth [2006].avi
Pan's Labyrinth [2006].srt

Will work.

Whereas this will not work;

Pan's Labyrinth FR [2006].srt

Nor will this;

Pan's Labyrinth [2006] EN.srt

Regards,
Simon.

#11 2009-06-07 07:14:50

simon

Hello Bubblegum,

I wonder how you're getting along with this. Is there anything I can do to assist?

-Simon.

#12 2009-06-07 12:25:32

bubblegum

Hello,

I've done the complex part, it's on the svn. I still would like to add 3 things :
- a language detection tool, (it seems easy to add, since there is such tools available for perl in cpan)
- more tolerance in the subtitle filenames to allow multiple .srt for one movie ( vlc allow any srt that contains the avi filename to be a subtitle for this movie)
- deal with multiple episode in one file and multiple files for one episode

It could be more beautiful to change the way one enters the naming rules, but I don't have any idea to keep user regexp AND hard coded regexp available.

If you can try it and give me feedback, it would be very helpful !

Bubblegum

Bubblegum

#13 2009-06-27 05:16:54

simon

Hello Bubblegum!

I've installed the daily snapshot.

I've tried import..folder and import..Names List - both fail to produce any output.

I think that I might have another problem here which is preventing the GCstar import function from operating. This is Fedora 10 and the optional components that are missing are;
Gnome2::VFS
Gtk2::Spell
MP3::Info
MP3::TAG
Net::FreeDB
Ogg::Vorbis::Header::PurePerl

Could any of these be causing the issue? As far as I can determine (and I've been running straces on the GCstar executable) the import function just hangs.

-Simon.

#14 2009-10-01 06:57:20

bricedebrignaisplage
Website

Hi

I need an application to manage my movie collections (stored on my HD), and GCstar seems to be the best one around. Especially with the new plugin "Folder". I have some suggestions:

For each filename, perform a search on the selected web site and display results for user to choose from, as it is done currently. But offer more control (ideas taken from Amarok cover manager): offer to edit the search string (for filenames that do not follow the nice convention described above), offer to search from a different web site (I have english and french movies, so I'd like to search on IMDB and Allocine), offer to skip the movie if the search yields no results (is it the cancel button), and finally, offer to stop the search, i.e. do not process any more movie, and return to main control (for instance if I want to continue on a different day).

Also, I'd be a good idea to save items in the database one by one after each search confirmed by user. If I am scanning a directory with several dozens of movies, I don't want to start over from scratch if the program crashes.

Another nice feature would be to be able to check for missing files: if I delete/rename a movie file, GCstar should detect the missing link and ask whether to delete the entry or search for the file (open a file chooser dialog). Besides, it'd be nice to be able to manage files from GCstar: move, rename, delete, ...

And finally, a better handling of subtitles would be great: check for several associated subtitles, possibly collaborating with the user. For some of my movies I have subs in various languages. and upon playing, ask which sub to use or none.

That's a lot of stuffs, but I believe it would make that plugin so much better. I've been looking at GCstar for a long time, and I had always been too lazy to build a collection manually. Now, with the folder plugin, it should be much easier. I can see that GCstar will become my favorite application (after Amarok...). Cheers!

#15 2009-10-02 00:06:44

bubblegum

Hi

Thank you for using (and testing !) GCstar !

For each filename, perform a search on the selected web site and display results for user to choose from, as it is done currently. But offer more control (ideas taken from Amarok cover manager): offer to edit the search string (for filenames that do not follow the nice convention described above), offer to search from a different web site (I have english and french movies, so I'd like to search on IMDB and Allocine), offer to skip the movie if the search yields no results (is it the cancel button), and finally, offer to stop the search, i.e. do not process any more movie, and return to main control (for instance if I want to continue on a different day).

Ok, added on my todo list.

One question : would it be easier to separate adding movies names from a folder (without infos) and then fetching infos for all/selected/one items ?

Also, I'd be a good idea to save items in the database one by one after each search confirmed by user. If I am scanning a directory with several dozens of movies, I don't want to start over from scratch if the program crashes.

Is it really safe to save without user permission ??
we should implement a temporary file and look for recovery when opening (like office does)
Godd idea, not only for the folder plugin.

Another nice feature would be to be able to check for missing files: if I delete/rename a movie file, GCstar should detect the missing link and ask whether to delete the entry or search for the file (open a file chooser dialog). Besides, it'd be nice to be able to manage files from GCstar: move, rename, delete, ...

That was already on my todo list, but I'm a bit busy since july ...

And finally, a better handling of subtitles would be great: check for several associated subtitles, possibly collaborating with the user. For some of my movies I have subs in various languages. and upon playing, ask which sub to use or none.

That was also on my TODO list, but here the problem is to be flexible enough to detect all this subtitle file
with the movie filename only... not easy with exotic names ...
I also plan to autodetect the language of srt files with a perl module
I'm looking for modules to extract infos from mkv (and/or) to write info in it.

Feel free to help to code if you have any skill ! But discuss is already help !

Cheers

Last edited by bubblegum (2009-10-02 00:08:53)

Bubblegum

#16 2009-10-02 12:12:38

bricedebrignaisplage
Website

One question : would it be easier to separate adding movies names from a folder (without infos) and then fetching infos for all/selected/one items ?

Probably yes. At least that would allow to build the database quickly. That would be a great start.
But at the end of the day, collaborating with GCstar in the way I suggested will definitely make the difference. Another option I forgot to mention, if everything else fail, is to let the user point to the website from which to get the info and parse it using the appropriate plugin.

we should implement a temporary file and look for recovery when opening (like office does). Good idea, not only for the folder plugin.

A couple of hours after posting, I got the same idea. So I guess that's the best way to go.

here the problem is to be flexible enough to detect all this subtitle file
with the movie filename only... not easy with exotic names

IMHO it's quite easy to find possible subtitle candidates. Assume that a subtitle file is named from the movie's base name plus a string (for instance '-en.srt'). From the subtitle extra string, it could even be possible to detect the language using a couple of hardcoded rules. Then display the files found and language guess, and let the user improve: either OK, or change language, or add/remove subtitles...

Feel free to help to code if you have any skill

Actually I was planning to write my own app, then after deciding that GCstar was already good and close to my liking, I was planning to develop a folder plugin: I am under Ubuntu Hardy (KDE3 rocks, KDE4 sucks) and the default GCstar version does not have the folder plugin. Fortunately I checked the SVN version first! Finally I realised that GCstar was written in Perl, and I have a very limited knowledge of Perl. I am not ready to invest time to learn another programming language, Perl is not very popular in my field (C/C++/Matlab).

Anyway, thanks again for your efforts. Of all my suggestions/requests, the one I am waiting the most, is the first one: i.e. to be able to quickly build the database, and collaborate with GCstar to retrieve data from the web.

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.