#1 2007-01-26 03:22:20

scarfy

German GCstar "Parental Guidance" thingy

The problem there is that in the german speakin parts of Europe DVDs have age rating from FSK. And FSK age ratings go "no release for youth (keine jugendfreigabe)", 16, 14, 12, 10, 6, "all ages (Freigegeben ohne Altersbeschränkung)"
There is no "parental Guidance"  but a 6 wich isn't suported.. if its hard to change the numbers to allow 6, why not change in the file gcstar/GCLang/DE/GCModels/GCfilms.pm the parental guidance one to 6? would make it much easier for anyone in the a german speaking country say Germany Switzerland and Austria.

For anyone who can read german here is the official Age rating table from the FSK Hompage: http://www.spio.de/index.asp?SeitID=18

While your at it to be correct you could change the all ages sentence to "ohne Altersbeschränkung" to be totaly correct to the FSK ratings system. But thats just a minor difference ind wording.. doesn't matter that much..

Ah yeah and 18 isn't ofically called 18 anymore with fsk its called "no puplication to the youth" to translate.. Keine Jugendfreigabe.. But since i can't see 10-18 in that file i guess the numbers are hardcoded somwhere? wouldn't be that easy to change that one for german huh..  Well this one is also not that important since it basecly means the same as 18.

#2 2007-01-26 19:21:19

Tian
Administrator
Website

Re: German GCstar "Parental Guidance" thingy

Hello,

The list of values is in GCModels/GCfilms.gcm. The problem is that this list should be shared between all the languages because it is possible for a German to use english websites to import the data. So all of them should share the same value. What changes is only the way to display them.

What you suggested (Renaming "Aufsicht der Eltern" to "6" and "Jedes Alter" to "Ohne Altersbeschränkung") won't be a problem for me. But I'd let this decision to current maintainer of the german translation. So I'll try to make him come here to discuss about this.

Thank you for your remarks.

#3 2007-01-26 21:44:34

scarfy

Hello,
Thanks very much. I'm interested to hear what the maintainer thinks about it big_smile

#4 2007-02-07 15:53:19

scarfy

hmm he doesn't seeme  to want to join in the discussion

#5 2007-02-27 00:14:02

scarfy

well its been already another release.. and ehm.. well what now? idea rejected? has to wait for implementation..... whats going on about it?

#6 2007-02-27 08:24:18

Tian
Administrator
Website

Hello,

I have no news from the maintainer, that's the only reason why I didn't update this topic.

Please feel free to submit a patch by attaching it to this topic. I will add it to the update repository. Then it will be available immediately for all users and they won't have to wait for a new release.

#7 2007-03-12 12:54:53

scarfy

I'm attaching here the German GCfilms.pm with  "Jedes Alter" changed to "Ohne Altersbeschränkung" and "Aufsicht der Eltern" to "6".

I noticed in the new release you extendet the numbers to 21 and down  to 10. So i gather there is some other rating system out there wich goes to 10 and on that goes up to 21. So just as an idea. Wouldn't it be neat if one could choose wich System to use? So it doesn't Clutter this thing full of entries for People wich won't use them but have different system anyway..

So for example you could choose in the Settings to have it standard, the way it is now, or FSK (The german Speaking region) or the USA system with parental guidence and such however this one is called and so on...

Attachments:
Attachment Icon GCfilms.pm, Size: 2,609 bytes, Downloads: 327

#8 2007-03-13 11:01:21

Tian
Administrator
Website

scarfy wrote:

I'm attaching here the German GCfilms.pm with  "Jedes Alter" changed to "Ohne Altersbeschränkung" and "Aufsicht der Eltern" to "6".

Thank you very much. I added it to the update repository for current version. So anyone could use it from now.

I noticed in the new release you extendet the numbers to 21 and down  to 10.

I checked the whole CVS history. This has not been changed since very first version of GCstar...

Wouldn't it be neat if one could choose wich System to use? So it doesn't Clutter this thing full of entries for People wich won't use them but have different system anyway..

Yes this is a nice idea. But I think it would be hard to implement that with current GCstar's structure. So it would require some internal changes.

#9 2007-03-13 12:41:01

scarfy

Tian wrote:

I added it to the update repository for current version. So anyone could use it from now.

ah good news big_smile Thank you very much.

Tian wrote:

I checked the whole CVS history. This has not been changed since very first version of GCstar...

Oh my bad then. But i could swear the package from the Fedora Extras Repository had 12-18 not 10-21 till the last version.

Tian wrote:

Yes this is a nice idea. But I think it would be hard to implement that with current GCstar's structure. So it would require some internal changes.

Yeah, i can see that the whole rating system would have to be excluded to seperate files for that and would need some internal changes. Thats why i just threw it in there as a suggestion. But i guess not only movie collections would benefit from that change. In Games you could choose the Pegi system and others and so on.. even though games doesn't even support that yet for some reason...

But it would certainly be a nice to have feature smile

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.