• Index
  •  » Other news
  •  » Tool to convert collections from 1.2.0 version to previous ones

#1 2007-09-02 12:04:25

Tian
Administrator
Website

Tool to convert collections from 1.2.0 version to previous ones

The format used by versions above 1.2.0 (this includes all the beta releases) has slightly changed. Then it is impossible to open a collection saved with one of these versions with the previous ones (1.1.1 and below).

The attached file is a tool to convert the collections so older versions may be able to use them. There is no need for the opposite tool as GCstar 1.2.0 can open old collections without any problem.

Its usage is quite easy. If you just launch it with a collection (.gcs file) as its argument, it will output on the standard output the converted file. You may also specify -o option followed by a file name where the output will be written. The last option is -i. It will do inplace modifications. So the input file will be modified. A backup is created with ~ appended to the file name.

#2 2007-09-05 08:56:51

robby

Re: Tool to convert collections from 1.2.0 version to previous ones

Tian wrote:

The format used by versions above 1.2.0 (this includes all the beta releases) has slightly changed. Then it is impossible to open a collection saved with one of these versions with the previous ones (1.1.1 and below).

Any particular reason the format changed? I'll try to update the next release of Tellico to import the new format.

The attached file is a tool to convert the collections so older versions may be able to use them. There is no need for the opposite tool as GCstar 1.2.0 can open old collections without any problem.

Maybe I'm missing something about this forum works, but I don't see any attached file. Is it in the CVS tree?

Thanks!

#3 2007-09-05 11:25:36

Tian
Administrator
Website

Hello Robby,

robby wrote:

Any particular reason the format changed?

All of the values associated to an item were stored as data elements in tags under the main <item> tag. Now all the simple ones (i.e. everything but long text and structured lists) are stored in attributes of the item element.

The reason is a performance one. I did some benchmarks with my XML parser for both kind of formats. And the new format reduce the loading time by around 30-40%. For huge collections (with 3000 items during my tests), this could save 5 seconds on a total time of 20 seconds for startup (the other 15 seconds have also been reduced as much as possible wink ). So the impact was really important.

I found this after some benchmarks when I found that most of the processing time was spent during opening of new tags in the XML file. Although this may vary according to the kind of XML parser used.

This also reduces the size of the file on disk. But that was not a priority.

robby wrote:

I'll try to update the next release of Tellico to import the new format.

Thank you very much for this. Do not hesitate to request support from me if you need some doing this.

robby wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something about this forum works, but I don't see any attached file. Is it in the CVS tree?

You don't have it in my previous post ? You won't see here when sending a reply. Only when reading the topic. It is also hidden in the front page of the GCstar's site.

But you may also get it from CVS if you wish. It is in the tools subdirectory. And also directly available from this page:

http://cvs.gna.org/cvsweb/tools/convert … oot=gcstar

#4 2007-09-05 13:56:05

robby

Tian wrote:

Hello Robby,

Robby wrote:

Any particular reason the format changed?

All of the values associated to an item were stored as data elements in tags under the main <item> tag. Now all the simple ones (i.e. everything but long text and structured lists) are stored in attributes of the item element.

The reason is a performance one. I did some benchmarks with my XML parser for both kind of formats. And the new format reduce the loading time by around 30-40%. For huge collections (with 3000 items during my tests), this could save 5 seconds on a total time of 20 seconds for startup (the other 15 seconds have also been reduced as much as possible wink ). So the impact was really important.

Wow, that's impressive. Thanks for filling me in.

Tian wrote:

Robby wrote:

You don't have it in my previous post ? You won't see here when sending a reply. Only when reading the topic. It is also hidden in the front page of the GCstar's site.

But you may also get it from CVS if you wish. It is in the tools subdirectory. And also directly available from this page:

http://cvs.gna.org/cvsweb/tools/convert … oot=gcstar

Cool. I might end up being lazy and use it in Tellico's parser... smile

Last edited by robby (2007-09-05 13:57:19)

• Index
  •  » Other news
  •  » Tool to convert collections from 1.2.0 version to previous ones

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.