#1 2007-10-28 23:24:51

Elassar
Website

Mixed requests: Italian plugins, classical music manager model...

Hi everyone!

I found this wonderful collection manager at least one year ago, but I started really using it last summer.

I'm using GCStar for my videogames and books collections (I'm still using Ant Movie Catalog for my movies); I also have a big collection of old classical LPs and a growing one of classical CDs and DVDs.

So.

I'm here to ask someone for:

- some new book Italian database plugins (for instance: LiberOnWeb.com);

- a collection manager model for a classical CDs (and LPs/DVDs) collection (with plugin for some classical music site, for instance: the classical music section of Amazon.com);

- some new movie Italian database plugins (for instance: the really wide database of Cinematografo.it; or a site very useful for covers and technical DVD data, i.e.: TerminalVideo.com);

- some videogame Italian database plugins (for sites like: SpazioGames.it, NextGame.it, Ludus.it, GameStar.it);

- something that may automatically download data after inserting CD in the  player (I think that somethimg like that has already been requested).

Thanks a lot for everything you'll be able to do (and for everything you've already done).

Elassar

#2 2007-10-28 23:33:56

tpf

Re: Mixed requests: Italian plugins, classical music manager model...

Hi,

Can you post a screenshot for LiberOnWeb.com and for the videogames sites ? I don't speak italian but I can do the plugin if you tell me where I can find each field in the site ( like in the discussion http://forums.gcstar.org/viewtopic.php?id=21 )

#3 2007-10-28 23:51:48

Elassar
Website

Hi tpf!

You were really quick - and you are very kind.

I've seen the post you talked about, so I'll let you have the requested screenshots as soon as possible (I'm going to sleep, 'cause I'll have to wake up for working in a few hours...): I think I may start sending screenshots between tomorrow and the day after tomorrow.

Many many thanks!

Elassar

#4 2007-10-29 09:09:59

tpf

Hi Elassar,

I will have time to start to develop these plugins in 2 weeks, so you have time to sleep smile

#5 2007-10-30 08:52:05

Tian
Administrator
Website

Hello,

For plugins, you have the better plugin developer wink

Concerning the request for a model for classical CDs, could you please let me know what would be very different from music collections model there already is in GCstar? Would it be possible to adjust the existing one so it could manage both kind of collections?

#6 2007-10-30 22:53:43

tpf

Thank's Tian, I'm glad to read you cool

#7 2007-10-31 00:17:38

Elassar
Website

Hi everyone.

First of all, I must thank you very much both TPF and Tian for spending your time with me.

Since TPF may wait some days, I decided to reply to Tian, instead of preparing screenshots for search plugins (I began the work this morning, before seeing Tian's post).

I'll try to explain some feature I'd like to have in my hypothetical perfect classical music collection manager.
First I think it's better to explain the problems of a classical music CD.

---

In one classical music CD you may find:
- a part of one work (e.g.: Puccini's "La Bohème" splitted in two CDs; the first movement of a Chopin's piano concerto, together with other piano works);
- one work (e.g.: Mozart's "Requiem");
- more works (e.g.: an anthology of German romantic lieder; some Vivaldi's concertos).

When you find more works on one CD, these works may have been composed by:
- one author (e.g.: Vivaldi's concertos);
- more authors (e.g.: classical guitar anthology performed by Segovia).

The works may be performed by:
- single artist (e.g.: Radu Lupu playing Schubert);
- various artists (e.g.: the Beethoven violin concerto, performed by Accardo with the Leipzig Orchestra and conducted by Masur; a collection of opera arias performed by great tenors with different orchestras and conductors; various baroque works, written for different instruments (violins, trumpets, flutes...) and ensembles (orchestra, chamber orchestra, string orchestra, string quartet...).

This means that one work may be found:
- on a single track in one CD / on more tracks in one CD / on more tracks on  more CDs.

This also means that the works may be played by:
- one instrumental or vocal artist / one ensemble with or without other single instrumental or vocal artists.

---

In my hypothetical perfect classical music collection manager, I'd like to look for "Chopin" and find all CDs containing Chopin works; I'd like to look for "piano concerto" and find all piano concertos and single piano concerto movements written by Chopin, Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart etc.; I'd like to look for "Pinnock" and find all works conducted by Pinnock; I'd like to look for "Beethoven's Third Symphony" and find the ones conducted by Karajan, the one conducted by Muti and so on; I'd like to look for "Pollini" and find all nocturnes, sonatas, polonaises, concertos etc. played by Pollini...

I don't know either if my request is a reasonable one or if the existing music collection manager (or a modified one) may support these features; all I've tried to do is to list some problems I figure and some wishes I have.

Thanks again, for now.

Elassar

---
P.S.
Talking about movies plugin, I'm looking for two plugins (TerminalVideo.com and Cinematografo.it) working like the Ant Movie Catalog ones; if it may be useful, you may refer to these Ant Movie Catalog TerminalVideo script and Cinematografo  script.

---
P.S. (2)
I know there's no race between you guys; but, if you ask me, I'm actually using one plugin written by Tian and three plugins written by TPF...wink
...and I love them all!

Bye
E.

Last edited by Elassar (2007-10-31 00:21:01)

#8 2007-10-31 07:35:25

Tian
Administrator
Website

Elassar wrote:

In my hypothetical perfect classical music collection manager, I'd like to look for "Chopin" and find all CDs containing Chopin works;

In next version (1.3.0), you will be able to perform a search in any field for all the kind of collections. Then you will be able to search for "Chopin" (or any other of your examples) and it will show you all the items that contains Chopin in any of the fields.

Now what I would need to know concerning the classical music collection, is what fields should be added in the panels.

I understood that an artist column for each track would be nice (it has already been requested also for current music collections). But I can't figure exactly what else would be needed.

So please try to list them. You may also try to create a user-defined collection. This will let you know what kind of fields (short text, long text, picture, list,...) are supported by GCstar for the moment and experiment what would fit your needs.

#9 2007-11-02 03:42:31

Elassar
Website

Hi Tian.

I tried.
I created a new collection model and I tried to fill it with my classical music CD data.
It was very instructive. I've changed fields more times and now I think I can give a first answer to your questions.

The core problem of a classical music CD collection is the playlist.
The other fields are the same fields of a DVD movie collection, of
a book collection and so on (publisher, series, date of purchase, cover...).

Every track of the playlist must include a lot of infos, instead:
- author;
- work title (symphony, polonaise, studio, sonata...) and number;
- work movement ("I. Adagio"; "II. Allegro con brio"...);
- time.
But you also need to know who's the artists involved in the single track: is it an orchestra? a trio? is there a pianist? and who are they?

For the first part of the problem, I think that something very similar to the three entry list of your music model (track number / title / time) may be suitable: I'd only add author name and movement title (from three to five entry list).

For the second part, I think that a second three entry list may be a solution:
- artist category (orchestra, conductor, quartett, pianist, violinist, tenor...);
- artist name;
- recording date (and location).

At last you'd have to connect every single track of the first list to one or more data of the second list and to visualize them.
Only, I don't know how...

I prepared a little example that I think it may help if my English doesn't:
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd163/Elassar_Pics/Ex.png

About visualization, I thought it would be nice, besides a full artist list under the playlist (or in a second tab?), a pop-up info.
I mean something like this:
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd163/Elassar_Pics/Ex2.png
O.k., I think I said everything.
Now, as usual, good night.
And thank you again.

Elassar

---
P.S.
@ TPF
I'm working on screenshots; I'll let you have something as soon as possible. I hope you'll forgive me.smile

E.

#10 2007-11-02 13:42:07

Tian
Administrator
Website

What you need could not be done yet in GCstar as it would require new kind of fields and to have a way to define relations between them.

As I think it would take a lot of time, I won't implement it for the moment. But if someone wish to do so, I 'll be more than happy to integrate that in GCstar.

#11 2007-11-04 21:27:01

tpf

P.S.
@ TPF
I'm working on screenshots; I'll let you have something as soon as possible. I hope you'll forgive me.

I'm back at home, after few days with some friends ( this part is OK ) and 7 babies ( why can't they sleep during all the night ??? ). I'm totally tired, and I forgive everything !

#12 2007-11-06 22:15:00

Elassar
Website

@ TPF

Hi, TPF.
I'm very glad you've forgiven my laziness.smile
Here's to you the first series of screenshots.
They are from LiberOnWeb, an Italian online bookseller.

1. Home page
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd163/Elassar_Pics/1_www_liberonweb_com.png
Here you may start searching a book (by title, author, publisher/series or genre); but you may also go to the advanced search page.

2. Advanced search page
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd163/Elassar_Pics/2_www_liberonweb_com_Varie_cerca_ht.png
Here you may input a lot of data to refine your search (and you may look at the image for some of them).

3. Example of query result
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd163/Elassar_Pics/3_www_liberonweb_com_asp_lista2_asp.png
Here are the books sorted after searching Pirandello's "Novelle per un anno".

4. Selected item
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd163/Elassar_Pics/4_www_liberonweb_com_asp_libro_asp_.png
After selecting an item, you'll see a page like this one.

I hope you will find these screenshots useful; if you need something more (or different, or less), let me know, and I'll make my best to fit any of your requests.

Ciao!

Elassar

---
@ Tian

Hi, Tian!
I'm little sorry to hear that my hypothetical perfect classical music collection model has to wait more than the GCStar 1.3 release...smile
However, I have to thank you for all the time you decided to spend with me and my request.
And I must say that, at least, I was forced to clarify to me some aspects of the question.
I hope I will see the day when my H.P.C.M.C.M. will be released...

Ciao!

Elassar

#13 2007-11-06 22:57:06

tpf

Hi Elassar,

Great job ! It's perfect ! It's exactly what I need !

Just few questions :
  * For a selected Item, there is the EAN. But in the advanced search page, there is no way to find a book based on its EAN or ISBN ?
  * in the description of a book, I've got trouble with some characters. For example "Pirandello mor in un anno particolarmente carica di storici eventi." I've got in the text. Do you have the same thing ?

#14 2007-11-06 22:59:06

tpf

I should be a little tired, I forgot to change my charset for the roll

"Pirandello morì in un anno particolarmente carica di storici eventi." is better big_smile

#15 2007-11-06 23:38:42

Elassar
Website

A quick answer, 'cause I'm tired too.smile

I could not find any ISBN or EAN input box; I don't know if it may help, but I noticed that the web address of a single item is based on ISBN/EAN strings; for instance, our Pirandello's "Novelle per un anno - vol. 2 - Tomo 1" may be found at:
"http://www.liberonweb.com/asp/libro.asp? ISBN=8804567430&EAN13=9788804567431" (space is mine).

Many thanks, for now.

Elassar

#16 2007-11-11 23:21:15

tpf

Hi Elassar,

If you have time, can you take a look to this version of the plugin, I've just finished my tests ?

Your screenshots were so perfect and so helpful, that if you can do the same for the video games websites, I'm ready to work !  big_smile

#17 2007-11-12 23:27:34

Elassar
Website

HI tpf!

Your e-mail was full of very good news!

I saw it few hours ago, so, since I put your plugin in my GCStar directory, I imported just few books data.
As soon as possible I'll stress your plugin with hundreds of other waiting books, but I must say that I didn't find any problem, for now: your plugin is perfect!

Talking about videogames screenshots, I'm working about Ludus.it; I already had the most important screenshots (search page, query results, selected item page), when I noticed (oh lazy boy!) that there is no (decent) game cover in the site... If I'll be able to find some (decent) cover, I'll send you everything; otherwise I'll look for another videogame website.

Thank you very much, for now.

Elassar

#18 2007-11-14 18:14:19

Elassar
Website

Hi TPF!

I finished my screenshots work for Ludus.it.
At last I found cover images (see above), but I must say two things:
- not every game has its own cover image (old-reviewed games have no cover image sad );
- quality image is very low (150x200 pixel, or even less).

Let's start.

1. Home page
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd163/Elassar_Pics/1_www_ludus_it_code_index.png
Here you may start a quick search or decide to go to the advanced search page; anyway the best way to look for reviewed games is to choose "recensioni" (i.e. "review") on the top bar of the website.

2. Reviewed Games Page
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd163/Elassar_Pics/2_www_ludus_com_code_home_sezioni_c.png
Here you have a simple quick search box where you may search reviewed games by title.

3. Query Result
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd163/Elassar_Pics/3_www_ludus_com_code_lista_alfabeti.png
The list is very simple, as you can see (the link above isn't indeed very useful because of the lack of internal data...).

4. Selected Item
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd163/Elassar_Pics/4_www_ludus_it_code_pagina_id_gioco.png
Here you may find almost everything about the game (I erased a link to cheat & codes, because it's reachable by members only).

5. Screenshots Page
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd163/Elassar_Pics/5_www_ludus_it_code_screenshot_id_g.png
It's a simple clickable thumbnails list.

6. Screenshot Page Example
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd163/Elassar_Pics/6_www_ludus_it_code_popup_immagini_.png

7. At last, you may hope to find the cover image of the game at this link:
if game review address is
"http://www.ludus.it/code/screenshot/id_gioco_piattaforma/3642 /tipo_pagina/30/LINGUA/IT#",
then cover image (or a very little in-game screenshot sad ) is here:
"http://www.ludus.it/copertine/giochi/3642.jpg".

I hope you'll find this post exhaustive.
I'm looking forward to having a new, wonderful and (last but not least) TPF-made smile Italian videogames search plugin!

Elassar

---
OT
Is it a problem of mine, or is there any problem with the server?

E.

#19 2007-11-14 19:22:52

tpf

Hi Elassar,

Once again, it's a great job that you have done ! With your explanations it should be easy to do the plugin. Unfortunetly, I have an unexpected travel for my job, so I'm not at home until this weekend sad

But, promise, you will have your plugin saturday or sunday !

Cheers,
   TPF - I've got trouble too with the server

#20 2007-11-20 20:21:54

tpf

I'm so sorry ! Could you on day forgive me ? sad

I'm late !

Here is the plugin of the site.

Note 1 : As you said, I've got trouble with the cover picture. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I haven't found a rule to determine if the picture I've took is a cover picture or just a screenshot. On the website I haven't found a page where to find the cover easily.

Note 2 :  concerning hints and walkthrough. On the website there are some partial informations ( if you are not registered ). Should I take them into account ?

#21 2007-11-20 23:50:53

Elassar
Website

Hi! and welcome back, TPF!

Well, I'm late too: I had (and I'll have) to work hard these days sad, so I couldn't start any new screenshot series.
Then, if someone has to be forgiven, that's me!

I've tried your new plugin fo some few items, and I must say it's perfect - as usual wink.
1. For the cover, I think there's nothing to do: or there is or there is not sad;
2. For walkthroughs or codes, I've no preferences: if you think the plugin may result more complete with them, I will not stop you smile.

If I must really tell you something about the new plugin, I noticed that Ludus results don't fit the exact requested words: it means that, when query result is a one item list and, for this reason, one item is automatically selected and downloaded, you may find in your database an item completely different from the requested one.

I don't know if authomatic one selected item downloading is a behavior belonging to program or to plugin: I only want to say, "to whom it may concern", that I'd like to be able to see a preview for one selected item too.

Good night, and thank you again - for now.

Elassar

#22 2007-11-21 19:36:45

tpf

Hi Elassar,

When there is only one result, GCStar take automatically this result and so you can't preview it.

you had a result completely different than your request ? Can you send me the example that you used ?

Cheers,
   TPF

#23 2007-11-22 23:42:42

Elassar
Website

Hi TPF.

I realize I used bad words to explain: the results aren't "completely different", but "just a little different". For instance, I type "State of War" and I obtain "State of Emergency"; another problem is obtaining Playstation game review while looking for (the same) PC game review.

They are very little problems - if you may have a look at the preview...

Now for the lack of preview I found a little and unexpensive escamotage: if you choose "Select fields to be imported" in "Preferences>Internet", you will be able to see a detailed preview list always (or whenever you need).

I hope I'll let you have a new screenshot series for the beginning of next week (since you are really improving the quality of my electronic life smile ).

Good night.

Elassar

#24 2008-05-19 10:09:19

tpf

Hi Elassar,

I don't know if you continue to follow the forum : the websiteof ludus has completely changed and so the current plugin doesn't work anymore. If you could provide new screenshots it would be nice !

I've tried to do ot by myself but I haven't found some information ( box picture for example ).

#25 2008-05-19 13:26:26

Elassar
Website

Hi tpf.
I'm still alive, after all... smile
I noticed something wrong about LUDUS.IT, indeed; so, I'm quite happy for your interest in Italian plugins problems.
I will make something about it, as soon as possible.
And perhaps I'll give you some new work... wink

Bye bye.

Elassar

---

(Glad to listen you're still alive, too!)

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.