#1 2017-08-14 08:44:41

retrue

Windows user, which version?

Hi
My first post.
I discovered this software several days ago. I was looking for a collection manager for Windows that were simple, free and allowed the user to define their own collections, and this one works.
I am wondering which Window version I should use.
- I am currently using version 1.6.1 (Btw, the official link in the home page doesn't work. I had to look for the installation program elsewhere).
- I found in this forum a link for a 1.7.0 version and it works.
- I found too in Github a 1.7.1 binary, but I don't know how to make it work. (The official link for the source of version 1.7.1 doesn't work either).
I should mention that I use GCstar with an user defined collection only (papercraft templates) meaning that I don't need scripts to fetch information from the Internet and that I have to introduce all the valours in fields and tags by hand.
So, which I must use? 1.6.0? 1.7.0?
Should I use 1.7.1? But how I make it work? Compiling from source seems too complicated from Windows.

#2 2017-08-14 18:00:48

kerenoc

Re: Windows user, which version?

Hello,

The server hosting both the original source code and the various distributions was stopped in May. Linux versions are still available on Launchpad but I'm  not aware of working Windows binaries (the tothi version from GitHub can't run in my environment because of missing dependencies in Perl).

If old GCstar versions used to meet you needs, you may stick with them (if you find them!).

Otherwise the procedure to install GCstar on Windows from the source described by Tothi is working : it's for Strawberry Perl but can be used with the Perl version from Activestate. If you don't need extra feature, after installing Perl, getting just GTK2 may be enough. For the GCstar archive, instead of Gna.org just download the latest version from my GitLab repo.

#3 2017-08-15 12:59:07

retrue

Compiling the windows version is too complicated for me.
I have updated to version 1.7.0 windows, using the build available in a post of this forum (It worked well several days ago when I tried it but I was still using 1.6.1).
Anyway, when I have installed it today and I have launched it, I have got an error that didn't allow me to start the application.
It said that there was a problem in line 1427 of file "C:\Program Files (x86)\GCstar\lib\gcstar\GCItemsLists\GCImageLists.pm"
The line 1427 in that file says:

$tmpPixbuf->save($self->{style}->{tmpBgPixmap}, 'jpeg', quality => '100');

I have commented it and the software launches now and loads my collection.
But how I can fix this properly?

This is the section of code where that line is:

Code:

if ($self->{style}->{withImage})
        {
            $self->{style}->{bgPixmap} = $bgdir.'/list_bg.png';

my $tmpPixbuf = Gtk2::Gdk::Pixbuf->new_from_file($self->{style}->{bgPixmap});
            $tmpPixbuf = GCUtils::scaleMaxPixbuf($tmpPixbuf,
                                                 $self->{style}->{vboxWidth},
                                                 $self->{style}->{vboxHeight},
                                                 1);
            (my $fh, $self->{style}->{tmpBgPixmapFile}) = tempfile(UNLINK => 1);
            close $fh;
            if ($^O =~ /win32/i)
            {
                # It looks like Win32 version only supports JPEG pictures for background
                #$tmpPixbuf->save($self->{style}->{tmpBgPixmap}, 'jpeg', quality => '100');
            }
            else
            {
                $tmpPixbuf->save($self->{style}->{tmpBgPixmapFile}, 'png');
            }

#($self->{style}->{tmpBgPixmap}, $self->{style}->{tmpBgMask}) = $tmpPixbuf->render_pixmap_and_mask(255);

GCUtils::setWidgetPixmap($self->{mainList}->parent, $self->{style}->{tmpBgPixmapFile});

$self->{style}->{backgroundPixbuf} = Gtk2::Gdk::Pixbuf->new_from_file($self->{style}->{bgPixmap});
            $self->{style}->{backgroundPixbuf} = GCUtils::scaleMaxPixbuf($self->{style}->{backgroundPixbuf},
                                                                1);
            my @colors = split m/,/, $self->{preferences}->listFgColor;
            ($colors[0], $colors[1], $colors[2]) = (65535, 65535, 65535) if !@colors;
            my $red   = int($colors[0] / 257);
            my $green = int($colors[1] / 257);
            my $blue   = int($colors[2] / 257);
            $self->{style}->{activeBgValue} = ($red << 16) + ($green << 8) + $blue;

if ($self->{style}->{withReflect}) 
            {
                $self->{style}->{foregroundPixbuf} = Gtk2::Gdk::Pixbuf->new_from_file($bgdir.'/list_fg.png');
                $self->{style}->{foregroundPixbuf} = GCUtils::scaleMaxPixbuf($self->{style}->{foregroundPixbuf},
                                                                    1);
            }

$self->{groupBgFile} = $bgdir.'/group.png';
        }

#4 2017-08-15 22:17:40

kerenoc

If you have already a running version of GCstar, you may try to install a new version of the Perl scripts from the source code.

- Extract a recent archive somewhere.
- From there, copy the whole content of the lib/gcstar subdirectory to overwrite the same sub-directory where you installed the binaries version of GCstar. However, you may not be able to fetch information from sites that moved to HTTPS (Amazon for example).

To correct that, using an up-to-date Perl version seems the only way, using the procedure similar to Tothi but leaving out the compilation part. With ActivePerl, installing Perl then installing GTK2 using ppm then just executing

Code:

perl gcstar

in the gcstar/bin directory is enough to get a running version of GCstar. You may later add the other Perl libraries for collections of audio files.

#5 2017-08-16 08:05:55

retrue

Hi
I copied the scritpts in lib/gcstar from the "recent archive" and GCStar simply doesn't start. I don't even get an error message.
So, I have restored the version 1.7.0 I had with this change I previously told about on line 1427 of a script (I just added # before $tmpPixbuf->save($self->{style}->{tmpBgPixmap}, 'jpeg', quality => '100'); to make it work).
I am not interested in using GCStars with books/audio/movies/series/etc collections hence I don't need fetching scripts. I just need that it works well with my personal collection (papercraft templates).
Thanks for yours answers.

#6 2017-08-16 12:17:43

kerenoc

I'm glad you somehow made it work for you.

On Windows, by default, GCstar messages are in AppData\Roaming\gcstar.log in the user's directory. Maybe you can check there what's happening when it fails to save the picture.

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.