• Index
  •  » Support
  •  » GCStar now stalls on sorting collection - any way to save it?

#1 2020-01-22 01:23:49

Leroux

GCStar now stalls on sorting collection - any way to save it?

I'm using GCStar on Win 8.1 64-bit, and I know it's not longer supported for Windows and that this version can be a bit buggy, that's why I occasionally made backup copies of my collection. But in recent years, I've completely forgotten that I used to do that and that it's risky to just use one save file. Now, since the last time I updated the collection, I'm not able to fully load it anymore. Something must have gone wrong while saving, I suppose, because now GCStar stalls at two thirds of the loading bar under the header "Sorting Collection". It loads all the pictures in the background but then apparently stops to do anything and I don't have access to the collection anymore ...

Is there any way to fix a possibly corrupted collection file, or is there maybe an automatical backup save located somewhere, or is there any way to extract the database from the GCStar file so that all the work put into it wasn't for naught, or will I have to let go and declare the collection lost?

Last edited by Leroux (2020-01-22 01:28:04)

#2 2020-01-22 11:19:24

kerenoc
Administrator
Website

Re: GCStar now stalls on sorting collection - any way to save it?

There is an option in GCstar to do automatic backup of a collection when saving it. But it useful only if you detect a problem before saving again. In any case, hardware fails and backing up data on a different equipment is the minimum (preferably on a remote location to cope with "disaster" scenarios). You would recommend regular backups of your collections, images and configuration data.

In your case, you can edit the collection .gcs file using a simple text editor to assess the level of damage. Fortunately, it's an XML file that is human readable : you should recognize the items of you collection.

You may also look what's in the %HOME%\AppData\Roaming\gcstar.log file to try identify the problem you're facing.

GCstar is still supported on Windows  but the installer I'm currently able to generate has localisation problems.

#3 2020-01-22 13:12:46

Leroux

Yeah, it was pretty reckless, especially considering how many work I put into it. No idea why I stopped making backups. sad

There doesn't seem to be a gcstar.log file in AppData/Roaming. The version I'm using is probably pretty outdated, it must be from 2012 or so.

I can look at the collection file with a text editor or a browser or even Excel, but I wouldn't know what to look for ...

#4 2020-01-22 16:24:00

kerenoc
Administrator
Website

The structure of the gcs file depends on the model you are using. Custom models are less readable that the generic one.

#5 2020-01-22 17:53:40

Leroux

It's a custom one, I'm afraid. That is, maybe I used something pre-made as a base but added lots of fields of my own. It appears the entries in the file are sorted by the date of the last edit? So if there's something wrong with the latest edits, they are to be found at the end of the file?

Last edited by Leroux (2020-01-22 17:55:43)

#6 2020-01-22 18:14:01

kerenoc
Administrator
Website

The date order should be preserved if you added the items one by one without doing imports.

You may also try a newer version that will generate some logs in AppData/Roaming/gcstar.log.

#7 2020-01-22 22:14:18

Leroux

kerenoc wrote:

You may also try a newer version that will generate some logs in AppData/Roaming/gcstar.log.

That sounded like a good idea, but to be honest, to a simple Windows user like me, the installation instructions seemed overwhelmingly complicated and intimidating ...

However, it looks like I was able to restore my collection by narrowing down the error margin and eventually identifying the culprit entry via simple copying and pasting with the text editor, using an older backup (from 2017) as base. I'm still not quite sure what's wrong with that entry, but without it, GCStar doesn't stall anymore and gives me access to the collection again. And it will be much easier to just rewrite that single entry, as opposed to retyping 2-3 years worth of entries from scratch. cool

That's a relief; I'll make sure to backup the collection now. Pretty cool that it's possible to fix a possibly corrupted file that easily. Thanks a lot for your help! smile

Last edited by Leroux (2020-01-22 22:14:53)

• Index
  •  » Support
  •  » GCStar now stalls on sorting collection - any way to save it?

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.