• Index
  •  » Support
  •  » Web plugin not working when using GCstar for Windows...

#1 2012-11-13 16:01:15

joker

Web plugin not working when using GCstar for Windows...

... and neither is the update (which is indicated on the installation page, admittedly).
Tried updating via the DOS-commandline window but then it wasn't possible to start any saved collection any more.
I tried this with versions 1.6.1 and 1.5.0.

I've scanned the internet and this forum for an idea how to fix the web plugin (i. e. importing books from an internet data base such as amazon via ISBN or title) for the windows version but unsuccessfully.
I started wondering if the web plugin ever worked for the windows version but apparently it has for some users.

So, how did you make it work? Or did you use a version earlier than 1.4.0?

The windows installation is for my mother, actually, who uses Windows Vista.
I use the Linux version myself and am completely happy with it, so happy in fact, that I'm determined to make the Windows version work for her too.

Some advice would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by joker (2012-11-13 16:10:39)

#2 2012-11-13 19:14:30

soulchainer

Re: Web plugin not working when using GCstar for Windows...

Hi, Joker.

I also use the linux version. I have a windows installation for my father, who uses Windows 7.
And it's true that many plugins seems to not work... but not all. For example, Adlibris working for books :p
Although i guess that any on your language do it.

The web plugins are platform independent (they're written on perl, a interpreted language), so i think the problem isn't the "OS version" of the plugins (because they're the same for windows that for linux).
The problem is that the plugins that you (and me, and most of the windows users) have on windows gcstar are outdated.
Because they're from gcstar versión 1.6.1. Linux current versión is 1.7.0. And in linux versión amazon plugins, like many others, works.
So, what can you do if the update option of gcstar's plugins don't work? Update it manually :p

So easy:

1- Get the plugin files that you want to use. You can get they from your system /usr/lib/gcstar/GCPlugins/ (they are organized on folders, acording the collections (GCbooks, GCfilms...)) or download the last GCstar version source code from this website http://wiki.gcstar.org/en/Install, extract it and look on /lib/gcstar/GCPlugins/.

The plugins are files with extension .pm (from perl module). Beware: plugins that have language versions, like GCAmazonFR.pm,GCAmazon.UK... usually have a "father" plugin (on that case GCAmazon.pm) that works like a "layout" for the rest (the rest inherits the base code from that "father"), so, if you, for example, want the GCAmazonCA.pm, you need also the GCAmazon.pm)

2- Copy the wanted plugins into the corresponding folders on your windows installation. Usually C:\Program Files(x86)\GCstar\lib\gcstar\GCPlugins. You can make a security copy of the old ones, only on case (but if they don't work, seems pointless to me).

3- Restart GCstar and try it :p

I only tried with GCAmazon.pm, to helping you and it works :3

The another solution, if this doesn't works to you (or you wanna some action) is to read a little about perl and patch the plugins one by one yourself (or hold out patiently until somebody compile the last gcstar version for windows, but that will take their time).

Sorry for my english, hope it don't be a problem :p

Last edited by soulchainer (2012-11-13 19:18:59)

#3 2012-11-13 19:35:21

joker

Wicked!
That worked immediately!
Didn't know that the plugins where platform-independent, that was the crucial clue.
In my system (Linux Mint 13) the plugin-files were located at /usr/share/gcstar/lib/GCPlugins though.
Problem solved!

You're my hero for the day, merci beaucoup!

Last edited by joker (2012-11-13 19:41:34)

#4 2020-07-16 12:45:52

Halinaw

soulchainer wrote:

Hi, Joker.

So easy:

1- Get the plugin files that you want to use. You can get they from your system /usr/lib/gcstar/GCPlugins/ (they are organized on folders, acording the collections (GCbooks, GCfilms...)) or download the last GCstar version source code from this website http://wiki.gcstar.org/en/Install, extract it and look on /lib/gcstar/GCPlugins/.

The plugins are files with extension .pm (from perl module). Beware: plugins that have language versions, like GCAmazonFR.pm,GCAmazon.UK... usually have a "father" plugin (on that case GCAmazon.pm) that works like a "layout" for the rest (the rest inherits the base code from that "father"), so, if you, for example, want the GCAmazonCA.pm, you need also the GCAmazon.pm)

2- Copy the wanted plugins into the corresponding folders on your windows installation. Usually C:\Program Files(x86)\GCstar\lib\gcstar\GCPlugins. You can make a security copy of the old ones, only on case (but if they don't work, seems pointless to me).

3- Restart GCstar and try it :p

I only tried with GCAmazon.pm, to helping you and it works :3

The another solution, if this doesn't works to you (or you wanna some action) is to read a little about perl and patch the plugins one by one yourself (or hold out patiently until somebody compile the last gcstar version for windows, but that will take their time).

Sorry for my english, hope it don't be a problem :p

Hello Joker,
Could you help me also, please? I have Windows 10 and GCstar 1.72 (just downloaded). My plugin for Books is working partly: I can ask to find the information on the web, it appears, I accept and then nothing is being updated in the window of the book. Have you any idea why is it so? I will appreciate the answer from you.
Halina

#5 2020-07-16 16:47:05

kerenoc
Website

A list of plugins that may be working is available on the Gitlab project for GCstar.

If some website stopped working, please create an issue on Gitlab or report it in this forum.

• Index
  •  » Support
  •  » Web plugin not working when using GCstar for Windows...

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.