#1 2008-05-10 11:07:18

Tian
Administrator
Website

New installer for Windows' users

The new Windows version announced here has now a real installer. I created one for the current CVS version. So you should not use it with your actual collections as it can be unstable. You can download it here:

http://download.gna.org/gcstar/win32/GC … _Setup.exe (around 15MB)

Do not hesitate to report any problem with it.

As a reminder, users of other operating systems can also try the future versions using instructions to test beta or CVS versions.

#2 2008-05-22 13:21:19

gueba

Re: New installer for Windows' users

Installed it today and everything sems to work fine so far. One thing I noticed is, that it shows the missing dependency for DateTime using a full path (where nothing is installed).

Code:

DateTime::Format::Strptime qw/strptime     Fehlt für C:/Programme/GUtils
Gnome2::VFS     Fehlt für GraphicComponents

I do not wonder about the missing modules (which cannot be used in the windows-version, I guess), but about the path.

#3 2008-05-25 11:53:44

Tian
Administrator
Website

As you guessed, these modules are not available for Windows, so it's not a real problem. The DateTime::Format::Strptime one is replaced by Time::Piece. But unfortunately the modules detection doesn't handle properly the alternatives for the moment.

Concerning other ones, there is nothing similar that can be used.

But the path is weird. I'll check that.

#4 2008-05-28 15:25:21

gueba

It seems to me that the update-function does not work.

#5 2008-05-28 18:14:21

tpf

For me :
  * from the windows menu, the update doesn't work,
  * from command line launching update.bat it doesn't too
  * from command line launching "perl gcstar -u -n" it works

#6 2008-05-29 07:53:35

Tian
Administrator
Website

Thanks for your tests tpf.

For 2 first case (when it failed) did you have an error message or something else? Or did it just do nothing? Please note also that it is normal you didn't get updates as there is none for this version wink

There is also a problem with some images as you already reported to me. Sorry I didn't have time yet to reply to you and to fix that. But this will be done for final release.

#7 2008-05-29 17:35:26

tpf

No trouble Tian !

No I haven't any error message sad  But I've took a look to process manager and I've seen that gcstar.exe is closed very very quickly ( and no perl process are launched ).

I've got a question : normally in the first 2 test cases I should have a message asking for the proxy ?

#8 2008-05-29 19:50:43

Tian
Administrator
Website

tpf wrote:

I've got a question : normally in the first 2 test cases I should have a message asking for the proxy ?

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get that working yet. So for the moment, it will just launch it without asking for the proxy (with -n). So it will be really fast if there is no update.

#9 2008-05-30 20:03:55

gueba

tpf wrote:

For me :
  * from the windows menu, the update doesn't work,
  * from command line launching update.bat it doesn't too
  * from command line launching "perl gcstar -u -n" it works

Neither of these work for me. command line
"perl gcstar -u -n" returns: "Can't open perl script "gcstar": No such file or directory"
"perl gcstar.exe -u -n" returns: "Unrecognized character \x90 at gcstar.exe line 1."

#10 2008-06-24 06:38:14

gueba

Tian,

FYI
The "weird-path" in plugin-information has gone after new Windows-installation. So I'm sure, it was a problem on my system.

Update function in 1.4.0 Windows version works for me for models, but not for plugins.

gueba

#11 2008-07-17 19:57:16

boa13
Website

Feedback on the installer (I haven't even tried the program yet):

- There is a log of all the activity of the installer, but it disappears as soon as the install is finished, I had no chance to read it. Now I'm quite distressed, I don't know what the install has done to my computer. sad Has it messed with my GTK+2 global install? Has it installed stuff outside the GCStar directory? Has it created registry keys? Only the log knows, and the log has disappeared. sad (Other NSIS-based installers usually keep the log until the user clicks a button. And that is why I usually enjoy the NSIS-based installers.) I sincerely hope GStar hasn't installed anything globally in Windows.

- There is check box that tries to make you believe you need to explicitely accept the GPL before you can install the program. This is incorrect. Several projects have removed similar checkboxes, search Google for "windows install accept gpl" to learn more about this topic.

Now, back to trying GCStar. (And I sincerely hope it hasn't messed up my Windows installation.)

#12 2008-07-17 20:10:35

boa13
Website

Apparently, everything went in the GCStar directory. I'm relieved. smile

(And the program looks very good.)

#13 2008-07-18 08:33:23

Tian
Administrator
Website

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

It only installs stuff in GCstar directory. I think NSIS only adds some registry keys to be able to perform uninstall and for the language used during installation.

For other stuff, I am not familiar with Windows as I don't use this system. That's why I am still trying to find someone that could maintain this installer and the Windows' specific stuff. But unfortunately nobody wanted to do that.

#14 2008-08-02 07:49:07

tpf

Hi,

Is it possible in the windows relase to deliver the file /bin/gcstar ? Because in some cases I want to launch gcstar directly from perl command line, and not through the gcstar.exe ( to have for example error messages displayed on the screen ) ?

#15 2008-08-04 12:06:53

Tian
Administrator
Website

Hi,

I'll add it in the next version. But the problem is that it can't be used if the whole Perl environment with all the dependencies has not been installed also.

If you have everything, you should better download the source version :

http://wiki.gcstar.org/fr/Install#telecharger_gcstar

On Windows systems, I think some archiving tools such as Winzip or Winrar should be able to open .tar.gz files.

#16 2008-08-04 20:41:26

tpf

For instance it is what I am doing : taking this file from .tar.gz big_smile

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.