#1 2006-12-13 09:46:43

Tian
Administrator
Website

XML hacker needed

Hello,

GCstar uses pseudo-XML for some files it manages. Mainly it is for the files describing a collection (what fields it contains, how it should be displayed...) and for the files containing the data itself (the collection content). These files structures depend on the associated collection type. As an example, a movie collection will contain some tags that correspond to the field names defined in the collection description.

I am talking about pseudo-XML because it uses some tags and an XML parser to read that but that's all. There is no definition of an XML grammar and no validation.

So the tasks to perform would be these ones:

- Create a grammar for the collection description (DTD or XML schema, I don't know which one would be the best) that could be used with what is already existing (it could be adapted of course if it is needed).

- Create something (or let me know how I could do it) that could generate a collection XML grammar according to the collection description. This could some code (in Perl to be integrated in GCstar) or so XML specific stuff. I think that XSLT could be used for that to generate an XML schema from another XML schema, but I am not really aware about that.

- Find (if there are some) ways to change part of the applications to be more XML compliant. As an example, the collections could be imported and exported from/to Tellico. This application uses also some XML files. But there the conversion is done with a pure Perl implementation. Here again XSLT could provide some help I think.

So the need is mainly for someone with good knowledges about XML and the other technologies around it. But some Perl skills could be useful if it is not mandatory.

Do not hesitate to post in this topic for any question.

#2 2007-04-08 09:28:31

Muzo

Re: XML hacker needed

Hello,

Is this request always up to date?
May be can I help.
I know a little about XML, but don't know anything about PERL.

Regards,

/Muzo

Last edited by Muzo (2007-04-08 09:29:29)

#3 2007-04-08 20:18:01

Tian
Administrator
Website

Hello,

Thank you for this proposition. Someone contacted me for this and we are currently working on some stuff. Even if for the moment it on stand-by (mainly because I don't have so much time).

But if you are still motivated, as soon as something is officially provided (or maybe before if you would like), I think there will be enough work for more than one person wink

#4 2007-04-10 22:35:39

Muzo

I can't help at full time, but let's go!

#5 2010-12-21 19:32:43

hero1900

i also would love to help in any thing regarding xml i have medium skills in it

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.