#1 2007-02-15 06:04:15

mEcko

I want to translate GCstar to swedish

Hello!

I've searched for a program which could manage my collections and gladly found GCstar smile Now I'm very excited to translate the program to swedish. I didn't find a swedish translation on GCstar's website, so I think my contribution is welcome?

Is it just to follow the instructions here?:
http://www.gcstar.org/contribute#translate

Thanks in advance.

#2 2007-02-15 08:27:08

Tian
Administrator
Website

Re: I want to translate GCstar to swedish

Hello,

Thank you very much for this proposal. For the moment there are not a lot of instructions, but these ones are correct. I planned to create a wiki page with more information but did not find time for the moment.

Just a precision for you. On top of all the files, you will find such a line:

package GCLang::XX::....

You also need to put here the language code (SV for swedish).

Do not hesitate to let me know if you need any help for this.

You may have noticed there is a feature freeze in GCstar. But this doesn't impact translation because thanks to the update repository I will be able to put your work available for all users as soon as it is ready.

#3 2007-02-15 10:20:37

Tian
Administrator
Website

I created the wiki page with more information:

http://wiki.gcstar.org/en/translators

Feel free to edit it if you think something should be changed (you may use the same user account as the forum one). Or let me know if something is not clear enough. I hope it will help you.

#4 2007-02-15 11:26:58

mEcko

Okey, thanks! I'm going to read through the wiki-page before I start.

#5 2007-02-15 11:44:47

mEcko

I have now downloaded GCstar but I can't install it because of some dependencies sad What is the name of the packages which will fix these dependencies? Everyone except these below is OK.

Code:

Mandatory components
XML::Simple    Missing

Optional Components
Archive::Tar    Missing for ExportTarGz, importTarGz

Archive::Zip    Missing for ImportTellico

Archive::Zlib    Missing for ExportTarGz, ImportTarGz

Mp3::Info    Missing for ExtractMusics

Mp3::Tag    Missing for ExtractMusics

Ogg::Vorbis::Header::PurePerl    Missing for ExtractMusics

#6 2007-02-15 11:53:30

Tian
Administrator
Website

The package names depend on your operating system (including distribution name if applicable). So you should first let me know which one you are using.

Before installing GCstar from sources, you may also install an old version that will automatically install dependencies for you. You will find instructions for them here:

http://wiki.gcstar.org/en/Install#speci … tallations

Then repeat the same steps as you did to install the last or CVS version.

#7 2007-02-15 12:00:55

mEcko

I'm running Ubuntu Edgy Eft (6.10). I have tried sudo apt-get install gcstar, but the package can't be found.

Last edited by mEcko (2007-02-15 12:02:25)

#8 2007-02-15 15:57:15

Tian
Administrator
Website

There is a package for other versions fo the distribution. You may find here the list of the dependencies:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/x11/gcstar

While the version could be different, the package names should be the same.

#9 2007-02-15 21:03:11

mEcko

Yes big_smile The package names in the url you posted worked! So now I have GCstar installed. I'm going to check out it's features, how stuff works, and then read the translation wiki. Thanks!

#10 2007-02-17 12:07:09

mEcko

I finished with the swedish translation this morning big_smile It's working fine this far. I am testing GCstar with my translation to see if I find some wrong/missing translations.

I also found some things in the GCstar.pm file (the english translation):

Row 247:

Code:

'ModelTooltipNumeric' => 'Should the values be
consider as numbers for comparison',

Shouldn't it be "considered" instead of "consider"

Row 319-320:
Duplicate code? As far as I can see, it says the same thing.

Code:

'OptionsPicturesWorkingDirError' => '%WORKING_DIR% could only be used on the beginning of the path for pictures',
        'OptionsPicturesWorkingDirError' => '%WORKING_DIR% could only be used on the beginning of the path for pictures',

Last edited by mEcko (2007-02-17 12:08:20)

#11 2007-02-17 18:33:14

Tian
Administrator
Website

You are right for these 2 problems in the english version. I will fix them.

To check nothing is missing, you may also use the tool described in the wiki page if you wish. But using the application is the better to test if the translation are accurate when used in their contexts.

Let me know when you think it's ready and that I could deliver it.

Did you already think about the maintenance of it? If you wish to do it and how. You may change your mind at any time of course.

#12 2007-02-17 19:44:23

mEcko

I will test the translation manually by using the application and then with the tool. Thereafter I will tell you when it's ready to be delivered. I plan to test a lot today and tomorrow, so it could probably be delivered tomorrow evening or monday.

Yeah, I think it would be very fun to maintenance it big_smile How do you think would be most practical? Maybe if you can let me know when there is something to translate, e.g. before a new release of GCstar? Or another method, I'm free for suggestions.

I read a bit on the GCstar homepage and saw the page below, they are those whom maintenance the application, am I right? Because I don't have a homepage yet, but I have thought about registering a domain for a time. So I think I'm going to do it in the days.

http://www.gcstar.org/about.en.php#translators

Last edited by mEcko (2007-02-17 19:46:42)

#13 2007-02-18 12:13:01

Tian
Administrator
Website

mEcko wrote:

How do you think would be most practical? Maybe if you can let me know when there is something to translate, e.g. before a new release of GCstar?

There is already a mailing list where developers (actually only me wink ) post messages when new translations are needed. Then the translators do as they prefer. Some of them only answers to the email with the new translations while other have a direct access to CVS and commit the modifications. Both are fine for me.

Let me know what email you would like to be used for this mailing list. Send me an email with this address, I will add you.

I read a bit on the GCstar homepage and saw the page below, they are those whom maintenance the application, am I right? Because I don't have a homepage yet, but I have thought about registering a domain for a time.

Tell me what information you would like to see on this page. Nothing is mandatory. I may add an email and/or a webpage if you wish.

#14 2007-03-27 21:36:45

Creap

Any news on this translation? I'll help if it's needed.

#15 2007-03-28 12:59:47

Tian
Administrator
Website

Hello,

Actually I already got it from mEcko. But I was waiting for a new version to deliver it. As the re-design takes more time than expected, it could still take some time.

So to let users have this translation, I added it to the update repository for 1.1.1. So anyone could use it right now. Let me know if you have some problems with it as I didn't have time to fully test it.

#16 2007-03-30 06:26:35

Tian
Administrator
Website

There is a small bug with the updater, tracked here:

http://forums.gcstar.org/viewtopic.php?pid=741

So if you wish to have the swedish support, you will have to create manually these directories first (they are relative to GCstar installation directory):

lib/gcstar/GCLang/SV
lib/gcstar/GCLang/SV/GCExport
lib/gcstar/GCLang/SV/GCImport
lib/gcstar/GCLang/SV/GCModels

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.