• Index
  •  » Bug reports
  •  » All custom fields and information deleted from my entire collection!

#1 2009-07-25 12:49:08

flanders_suse

All custom fields and information deleted from my entire collection!

The setup:
-GCStar 1.4.3
-openSUSE 11.0 32-bit

There is no error message with this bug, and there is no way to reproduce it everytime. This happens very randomly, and I lost all my custom information from my collection because of it.

I created a new collection using the "Books" model, and made my own custom fields, as well, under the group "Extra Information". These fields are very important to me. So, I populated my collection with many books, and of course saved everything when I was done. (I won't get into the import/export faults, since they never seem to work properly, and simply copying the collection to another drive is better.)

When I close and then reopen GCStar, all my custom fields and books are still left in tact, with no problems. However, just today, after opening my collection again, in order to add a new book, I realized that all my custom fields have vanished! I opened up the .gcs file in Firefox to examine it, and the information for my custom fields is all gone! (gcsfield1, gcsfield2, etc, all missing.) They were removed from each and every book in the collection. This really hurts, since I now have to manually recreate all the custom fields and re-add all the information to all of my books, with the fear that I may lose them again in the future.

I'm not sure what would cause to program, without any user-intervention, to go through the entire collection and remove any custom fields created by the user. If someone could look into this? Perhaps, there is a function that executes upon launching GCStar that may be the culprit?

To have so much data automatically deleted, without warning, is very dangerous.

EDIT: I understand it is difficult to come up with a fix, if there is no "bug report" provided, but I hope I was able to provide enough information.

Last edited by flanders_suse (2009-07-25 14:36:40)

#2 2009-09-09 04:21:24

bruceraf

Re: All custom fields and information deleted from my entire collection!

I also saw this problem of disappearing user fields.  Everything seemed fine, then reopening the file, they were gone.  I think I was mostly trying out the different Display options, in the preferences section, before this happened.

Version: 1.5.0.beta1
Operating system: linux
CentOS 5.3 (equivalent to RH Enterprise 5.3)
Kernel: 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5
Using: gnome

#3 2009-12-15 18:19:11

Diel

version: GCStar 1.5.0
Windows 7 RC Build 7100

This just happened to my game collection as well, though I've been having another problem with the program as well but I'm not sure if they're related.

Basically I'll be adding things just fine and then the program kind of freezes.  Well, not so much freezes as it is that the program won't let me change to a different game in the collection  I can still edit fields on the game I'm on but if I hit Add, nothing happens, at least nothing I can see.  I can also still go into the menus on the toolbar above.  The program will also freeze if I try to add more than one game at a time using the plug-ins (I'm currently using Gamespot).

I usually just save the file and restart the program and I'll have a blank "New Game" entry for every time I pressed the Add button.  This happens after adding every 2 games.  Every time I open it, though, everything is just fine.

It was after one such freeze that I saw that all of my custom fields were gone.  I checked the displayed information menu just to make sure they weren't just not being displayed but they weren't there either and all the information is gone from the gcs file as well.

This is really disheartening since I had quite a few custom tabs and a lot of information stored there.

Edit:  I've found that I can unfreeze the program by hitting the Ascend/Descend button above the collection panel on the left, but then the program starts doing the same thing after every game I add.

Last edited by Diel (2009-12-15 19:25:10)

#4 2010-12-31 04:03:17

sunnychung

This problem is still existing in GCstar 1.6.1. All of my user fields in a book collection had been erased for 3 times within 2 days. I feel as frustrated as what flanders_suse felt. I spent quite many hours on those fields and now they are all gone. The problem seems to happen during saving. When I found my fields were gone, user fields in the XML file had already been erased and the modifying time is still the last saving time. It is not reproduced at every time though.

Besides, when the default value of "dependant of other fields" consists of two or more consecutive %, e.g. "%gcsfield5%%gcsfield6%", %% would simply removed in the XML file, and the value of this field of existing records will be erased.

Version: 1.6.1
Operating system: GNU/Linux (Ubuntu 10.10)
Using: gnome

Last edited by sunnychung (2010-12-31 04:03:58)

#5 2011-06-27 19:32:11

pakruse

Sorry for the necro, but this problem is awful. I had added a pair of secondary fields (Read by PersonA, Read by PersonB), and we had marked up our entire collection, and a field for the Library of Congress call number - only to have all the user custom fields deleted. This is bad enough to cause users to completely avoid the tool - randomly dropping fields is NOT okay.

GCstar version 1.5.0 (Ubuntu stable)
Ubuntu 11.04

--Patrick

#6 2012-08-11 14:18:03

padie

I got the same problem today.

Setup:
- GCstar 1.6.2
- Debian Wheezy 64bit

• Index
  •  » Bug reports
  •  » All custom fields and information deleted from my entire collection!

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.