#1 2007-03-17 14:13:31

debugger

Importing movies from CSV.

Hello all,

I have tried gcfilms for the first time a year ago. I wanted to move my movie list from OpenOffice worksheet to gcfilms, but failed due to many reasons (gcfilm rejected to understand non-Latin characters in CSV files, etc).

Recently I decided to try gcfilms/gcstar again. I see many improvements (for example, CSV importer really CAN import non-Latin characters), but cgstar still does not work to me...

My file exported from OpenOffice to CSV looks pretty straightforward. Values are delimited with commas (Comma Separated Values, isn't it?), values containing spaces, commans or other strange symbols are enclosed to quote marks, etc.

But gcstar has another notion of CSV. First (but not the biggest) problem is default separator, semicolon. Ok, I am not so lazy and can specify comma as the separator. Then -- and this is the real problem -- gcstar does not treat quote marks as special symbols at all! After importing all my strings -- movies titles, genres, director names, etc -- are enclosed to quote marks! It is obviously a bug. What is even worse: some my movies have comma in title (e. g. "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels") -- these movies imported completely incorrectly, because gcstar does not understand that comma within quote marks is NOT a value separator, but a part of value. So I have move titled `"Lock' with director ` Stock and Two Smoking Barrels"'. :-(

Ok, technical info:

1. gcstar version 1.0.0.
2. GNU/Linux, Fedora Core 6, i386 and x86_64.
3. Part of gcstar -- CSV importer.

Regards.

#2 2007-03-17 14:20:00

debugger

Re: Importing movies from CSV.

Er...

I am a programmer, and know Perl, so I can debug the problem and try to work out a solution. But I want to be sure that my work is not going to trash bin. So, please let me know that this part of code is not under heavy reconstruction now, it does not have active maintainer who can/will fix it quickly, and my patch will be considered.

#3 2007-03-17 14:46:11

debugger

I checked version 1.1.1. The problem with CSV import is still here.

#4 2007-03-17 18:46:28

Tian
Administrator
Website

Hello,

The plugin are independant from the rest of the code. I am rewriting some parts of the core but that don't deal with the way plugins are managed.

So feel free to do any modifications you would like in the CSV plugin. I will then add it to the update repository, so it will be able to all the users.

Thanks.

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.