• Index
  •  » Support
  •  » MusicBrainz and Discogs Lookup not working in Linux

#1 2020-11-22 10:08:27

themetman

MusicBrainz and Discogs Lookup not working in Linux

I am a Noob to gcStar and want to use it for my CD/LP Music Collection.
I am running version 1.7.1 in Gentoo Linux.
I have no errors when launching from the command line.
I have created a Music Collection.
Great so far.....
Now let's try and find a CD.
When I try and search for an Artist or Title using MusicBrainz or Discogs it just keeps looking and never finds anything.
I can find the CD on the Muzicbrainz Website.
Reading the forum I discovered that you can 'Drag and Drop' the URL from the MusicBrainz Site to gcStar, but for the life of me I cannot see how to do this. I have looked through the documentation and FAQs but no clue there.

Surely the Fetch Information should work from the program. Why does it not?
Thanks in advance

#2 2020-11-23 11:25:31

kerenoc
Administrator
Website

Re: MusicBrainz and Discogs Lookup not working in Linux

Version 1.7.1 is outdated as many website have changed since its release. The newest version is available on Gitlab.

It supports MusicBrainz. For Discogs, the key to use the API seems to be no longer valid. If you have an account on Discogs, you may try to get a new key for downloading info from the site and I could help you inject it into GCstar.

#3 2020-11-23 12:38:16

themetman

@keronoc, thenks for the reply.
I have downloaded the newest version from Gitlab, and followed the instructions, but I cannot find libgtk2-perl in Gentoo. I do have dev-perl/Gtk2 installed.
Then I tried to run it from the download and had this error:

Code:

Fatal error with importer GCImportScanner

Can't locate object method "new" via package "GCImport::GCImporterScanner" (perhaps you forgot to load "GCImport::GCImporterScanner"?) at (eval 313) line 1.
Magic number checking on storable file failed at /usr/lib64/perl5/5.30.3/x86_64-linux/Storable.pm line 443, at /home/francis/FG-Docs/Downloads/gcStar/GCstar/gcstar/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCPlugins.pm line 104.

So I then, as you suggested, moved the gcstar script to /usr/bin to overwrite the gentoo install 1.7.1 and the lib folder to /usr/share/gcstar/ and it ran OK, but still the same problem. The About shows version 1.7.2

Am I doing it right?
I select Add Album, then click 'Fetch Information' Then select 'Artist' then in the Query Field I put 'Melody Gardot' and then click 'Fetch Information'.
After that the bar just keeps going back and forth with both MusicBrainz and Discogs.

I have registered on Discogs, but have searched around and cannot find anything about a downloading key.

#4 2020-11-25 14:31:56

kerenoc
Administrator
Website

It seems that you managed to have the new version running!

On my side, I tested it on Ubuntu (Gtk3 version) and the MusicBrainz plugin give me some results for "Melody Gardot" (first one is "My One and Only Thrill"). Could you launch the GCstar script with warnings enabled (perl -w gcstar) to investigate what's happening?

For Discogs, registering a application should be done in the "Developper" section.

#5 2020-11-25 14:57:00

themetman

OK here is the output of perl -w /usr/bin/gcstar

Code:

readline() on closed filehandle BOOKMARKS at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCBookmarks.pm line 49.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCMainWindow.pm line 3811.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCMainWindow.pm line 3813.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCPanel.pm line 1426.
Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCPanel.pm line 670.
Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCGraphicComponents/GCBaseWidgets.pm line 1438.
Use of uninitialized value $fieldType in string eq at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCGraphicComponents/GCBaseWidgets.pm line 1296.
Use of uninitialized value $fieldType in string eq at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCGraphicComponents/GCBaseWidgets.pm line 1296.
Use of uninitialized value $fieldType in string ne at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCGraphicComponents/GCBaseWidgets.pm line 1341.
Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCGraphicComponents/GCBaseWidgets.pm line 1438.
Use of uninitialized value $fieldType in string ne at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCGraphicComponents/GCBaseWidgets.pm line 1341.
Use of uninitialized value $pluginType in string eq at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCPanel.pm line 1200.
Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.30.3/x86_64-linux/Gtk2/SimpleList.pm line 109.
Use of uninitialized value in numeric gt (>) at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCGraphicComponents/GCBaseWidgets.pm line 2603.
Use of uninitialized value in numeric gt (>) at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCGraphicComponents/GCBaseWidgets.pm line 2603.
Use of uninitialized value $debugPhase in numeric gt (>) at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCPlugins/GCPluginsBase.pm line 127.
Use of uninitialized value $debugPhase in numeric ne (!=) at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCPlugins/GCPluginsBase.pm line 132.
Use of uninitialized value $debugPhase in numeric eq (==) at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCPlugins/GCPluginsBase.pm line 155.

When I clicked the MusicBrainz Search, then the last three lines appeared. that is all.

I have generated a Discogs Token, so how do I inject this into your code?

======================== EDIT ============================
I have substituted my API Key for yours in theses files:

Code:

/usr/share/gcstar/lib/gcstar/GCPlugins/GCmusics/GCDiscogs.pm

and

Code:

/usr/lib/gcstar/GCPlugins/GCmusics/GCDiscogs.pm

Then tried searching with discogs, but still the same problem.

Regards

Last edited by themetman (2020-11-25 17:06:44)

#6 2020-11-26 08:53:04

themetman

@kerenoc, clearly this is something to do with my Gentoo Setup.
I have just tried it in my wife's Linux Mint machine, and it works fine, so let's call this a day for now.

Regards

#7 2020-11-26 11:00:34

kerenoc
Administrator
Website

Great! Is the Discogs plugin also working, there seems to be a new version of their API.

For Gentoo, I couldn't find an easy way to build a VM with Gnome to test GCstar. It seems harder than for the other Linux distros or for MacOS!

#8 2020-11-26 11:58:45

themetman

For Discogs did the substitution of the API Key as above, but all it said was nothing found, so not doing nothing, but not working.
========== EDIT ==================================
I think this is because I am using a Personal Access Token so it is looking for my personal information of which there is none!
Looking here https://www.discogs.com/developers/#pag … en-url-get
I think what I need is a Consumer Key and Secret for Discogs to work.
Presumably your key is part of that, but it does not work for me. Perhaps the secret key is not there.

Any ideas how I can get it to work, should I get a Consumer Key and Secret to try?

Last edited by themetman (2020-11-26 12:11:40)

#9 2020-11-26 12:21:17

kerenoc
Administrator
Website

I became involved in GCstar longer after this plugin was developped and don't know who provided the current key.

I'll have to look into renewing an application key for GCstar. But this key won't be secret and will be shared between all GCstar users with a global API throlling. Fortunatelly there may not be a lot of active users of this plugin!

#10 2020-11-26 13:37:19

themetman

That is very kind of you.

Thanks a million

#11 2020-11-28 09:46:20

kerenoc
Administrator
Website

The Discogs version is working again (migration from XML to json thanks to ilpiero, new API key) but was not thoroughly tested.

#12 2020-11-29 08:02:53

themetman

OK, @kerenoc, I updated the install and that is working fine now.
Very grateful for your efforts
Regards

• Index
  •  » Support
  •  » MusicBrainz and Discogs Lookup not working in Linux

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.