• Index
  •  » Support
  •  » GCstar on OpenSUSE. Problem finding Gtk3

#1 2021-06-20 20:58:00

splumb

GCstar on OpenSUSE. Problem finding Gtk3

I'm not sure if this is a question for this forum or for a Gtk forum, but I'll start here.

I've just loaded the latest version of GCstar (1.7.3) using YaST on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.  When I try to open GCstar, I get the following error:

Typelib file for namespace 'Gtk', version '3.0' not found at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.32.1/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Glib/Object/Introspection.pm line 108.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCOptions.pm line 26.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/gcstar line 111.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/gcstar line 111.

It appears that when GCOptions.pm tries to execute the command 'use Gtk3' the startup can't find the Gtk3 file.  I'm not sure if there is supposed to be an environmental setting pointing to the appropriate directory.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

#2 2021-06-21 12:32:12

kerenoc
Administrator
Website

Re: GCstar on OpenSUSE. Problem finding Gtk3

On a fresh install of OpenSuse Thumbleweed, Gnome version, after installing GCstar with YaST, I experienced an error as the typelib of GdkPixData 2.0 was missing. The other typelib files related to Gtk were present. Installing the Pixdata typelib with YaSt solved the problem.

#3 2021-06-24 20:17:57

splumb

Re: GCstar on OpenSUSE. Problem finding Gtk3

Thanks kerenoc,
I looked and I already had GdkPixData installed.
I tried running a simple Perl program:

#perl -e "use Gtk3"

This generated the same error I get when running gcstar.
I then found another program that required Gtk3.  This other program ran without any issues.  Looking at the code for this other program, I noticed that it had this use line:

use Gtk3 0.028 ;

while gcstar only had:

use Gtk3;

when I run the simple Perl program with the version:

#perl -e "use Gtk3 0.028"

It ran without any problems.  I also looked at the Gtk3.pm file and saw that it had VERSION set to 0.038.  I re-ran the simple Perl script with 0.038 and it also ran without any problems.  As a test, I also tried 0.048 and this time and received the error:

Gtk3 version 0.048 required--this is only version 0.038 at -e line 1.
   BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at -e line 1.

So, I followed suit and copied this line into the gcstar file and it worked.  I don't know if this is just a temporary fix, but it is working for me.

I'm guessing that I can mark this issue as solved.

• Index
  •  » Support
  •  » GCstar on OpenSUSE. Problem finding Gtk3

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.