• Index
  •  » Support
  •  » How to fully transfer your collection from one PC to another?

#1 2021-10-16 12:28:52

Leroux

How to fully transfer your collection from one PC to another?

I'm on Windows, and I'm trying to transfer my individual collection database from the 1.6.1 installation of GCStar on my desktop to the 1.6.1 installation on my laptop.

I've already learnt that apart from the obvious files (collection.gcs and image folders), I also need to transfer the files hidden in Appdata/Roaming/gcstar. So now I can load my collection on the laptop. Only, it still displays all database entries without the according images ...

I see that under Settings/Preferences/Paths, I can select the path to an image folder, but ...
a) from what I can tell, GCStar needs two "image" folders: the one called e.g. ".collection_pictures" if the collection was called "collection.gcs", with some sort of cache files, and the one with the actual, original images files.
b) I tried seclecting one or the other under Paths, and it did not make any difference. The collection still comes up with empty fields where there should have been images.

So what do I need to do in order to fully transfer the collection with all the images being found and displayed?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

#2 2021-10-17 20:45:52

kerenoc
Administrator
Website

Re: How to fully transfer your collection from one PC to another?

In recent version there is only one directory for all the images of a collection. The name of the directory is defined according to the Paths page of the settings.

You may look into the log file AppData/Roaming/gcstar.log to see what's happening when you open the new collection.

Another way to migrate a collection is to export it on one computer and move the archive to the other one.

#3 2021-10-17 23:30:27

Leroux

Thanks for the reply!

kerenoc wrote:

You may look into the log file AppData/Roaming/gcstar.log to see what's happening when you open the new collection.

Unfortunately, the gcstar.log in AppData/Roaming is empty, so that doesn't help.

kerenoc wrote:

Another way to migrate a collection is to export it on one computer and move the archive to the other one.

That sounds like the easiest option, yet it does not seem to work for me. When I select export as e.g. "Collection21.tar.gz", GCStar tells me the file was created, but it is only 238kb in size and when I try to import it on the laptop, I get an error message:

"D:\GCStar\Collection21.tar.gz

Cannot open items list. Format may be incorrect.

syntax error at line 1, column 14, byte 14 at XML/Parser.pm line 187"

sad

#4 2021-10-22 19:58:34

kerenoc
Administrator
Website

I'm currently away from home and I'm not able to investigate further this problem on the old 1.6.1 version.

Once you've copied all your images in a new directory on the laptop, you may try to fix the path to the images in the .gcs file of your collection, using the "substitute" command of any text editor. Search for the XML tag that contain the image ("cover" for book, "image" for films and series, the name depending on the type of collection).

#5 2021-10-23 18:03:24

Leroux

Great, that helped me fix it, thanks!

At first, it was not enough, due to the different usernames on desktop PC and laptop, and because I could not find where to change that in the GCStar files. The .gcs file contained paths named "../../../Downloads/Collection" (obviously referring to the download folder in the user directory on my Win 8.1 desktop PC, where it worked), but on the Win 10 laptop, it seemed to interpret this path as "C:\Downloads\Collections" for some reason. I tried to figure out where to change the meaning of "../../../" but could not find it. 

To simplify matters, also with regard to future transfers, I just moved all GCStar files and dependent folders out of the "user" directory and then replaced all paths accordingly, and that did the trick. smile

Last edited by Leroux (2021-10-23 18:04:02)

• Index
  •  » Support
  •  » How to fully transfer your collection from one PC to another?

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.