#1 2011-10-19 17:39:05

cbrowne

Java port

I'm very interested in this project (my girlfriend and I want just this kind of software to manage our collections) but can't contribute because it's written in a language I don't grok.  I mean, I've done some Perl before, but never with a GUI and never a project big enough to require an IDE (eclipse is apparently pretty good at Perl though).

I'd like to contribute to the project, though, and extend its features, and I think the easiest way for me to do this is to port it to Java.  I'm going to do this regardless of the response to this post.

I'm just posting here in the interests of politeness, to announce my intent to port it to Java.  If anybody is interested in helping me, that's great, but I'm just letting people know what I'm doing in case anybody's interested.

My justifications for switching from Perl to Java, rather than (re)learning Perl are:
1: Perl is pretty out-dated and was never designed for GUI stuff
2: porting to Java is the first step in porting to Android
3: more developers speak Java than speak Perl.

I don't want to get into a language holy-war over this, though, those are just my reasons behind making a port.  There's no point trying to justify why the software is currently written in Perl, I'm not interested.

NB: This will probably be the last you hear from me in at least a few weeks, since porting this codebase will take a very long time.  If anybody wants to contact me directly, please use my gmail account: yoda2031@gmail.com, not the address I used to register on the forums.

I hope this will be received in the friendly, polite manner it was intended, and not as any offense/attack against the current development effort (if I didn't admire your work, I wouldn't be porting it to Java, I'd be starting from scratch).

#2 2011-10-21 22:25:21

Tian
Administrator
Website

Re: Java port

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in GCstar. Don't hesitate to post here the results of what you will do.

You may aso be interested in GCstar Viewer, that is written in Java for Android. You'll find more information, including how to get the source code, on this page:

http://wiki.gcstar.org/en/gcstar_viewer

#3 2011-10-23 11:01:58

Tian
Administrator
Website

I had an idea. If you want to create a Java application, why not a model designer?

For the moment, to create a user model, there is an interface in GCstar, or it's possible to manually edit the .gcm file. But with the interface, it's not possible to choose how the fields should be placed on the screen. And so the "panels" section of the .gcm is automatically generated with default rules.

This application would be a UI that would let users graphically create their own model of collection, by defining their fields, and they visually place them on the screen. They'll be able to define their size, to group them, to create expanders,... So that on the end, this program will generate a .gcm file that can be used in GCstar.

I already know that some users would love to have that. And this can perfectly be created as a separated language. As most of the job is really in the UI, Java would perfectly do the job.

#4 2011-10-23 15:05:01

cbrowne

This sounds like a worthwhile project, I will definitely dedicate some resources to it.  Certainly, if I can grok the '.gcm' format, I will work on a 'gcm editor' for Java.

Given the nature of Java, it should be trivial to extract this editor into a stand-alone app, or bundle it with a full GCStar port.  Definitely a good starting point though, if it provides a feature currently missing from the standard GCStar.

#5 2011-10-26 17:30:43

unclepetros

Hi cbrowne,
I guess your point of view.
Actually, Perl language is a difficult language if compared to other ones, expecially in writing GUI application.

But I think Java is not the alternative.
As Perl is not so much suitable to write GUI application, then Java is not so much suitable to write stand-alone application.

I do a very large use of Java, but for network and internet applications, not for stand-alone ones.
I personally, don't like desktop app developed in Java;
they are slow, and never well integrated with the operating system used.

I like the power of C++ in writing desktop software.

Sorry, but if I have to choose between the current version of GCStar and the Java porting, I choose the first one.

This is only my point of view.

Regards
UnclePetros

#6 2011-10-26 18:56:10

cbrowne

You're entitled to your point of view, but I'd like to point out that at no point did I suggest that such a choice would ever need to be made.  The port to Java would be a fork project, not a replacement project.  I'm not any of the original developers of the project, they all continue to maintain the Perl version and will probably do so after I've made the Java port.

The way Open Source works is that if you see something that you want changing, you change it, and if others find your changes helpful, great, they can benefit from them, but if not, they don't have to use your changes.

I would be happy to discuss the merits of Java, the merits of C, the merits of Perl or of any other language so long as you keep it in a private forum - I signed up with a valid email address and it should be publicly-viewable so feel free to email me directly if you want such a discussion.

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.