#1 2007-05-29 14:52:56

purplerhino

Index number

I bought a giant DVD case with indexed sleeves.  So in the location field, I've been putting the name of the case, and then putting the index down in the comments. 

This is annoying because you just see a strange number in the html output, and because if you ever re-fetch information it gets overwritten and lost.  But if I put it in the location field, like case-1, case-2, etc, then I'd have a drop down list of 1000 things that I could never reuse anyway.

#2 2007-05-30 08:09:22

Tian
Administrator
Website

Re: Index number

Hello,

Could you please give more information about what features/changes you request then.

#3 2007-05-30 22:11:58

purplerhino

Oh, sorry it wasn't clear, just another database entry that is a sub-entry to location.

http://friendlyconfines.org/index_field.png

If I entered it in Location, then I would have a drop down list of

Merax-1
Merax-2
Merax-3
Merax-500

all of which I could never reuse anyway.  In notes, it's not safe, it gets overwritten and comes out in all the html reports.

this is like the case I have, to see what i mean with the indexing:

http://www.supermediastore.com/cd-dvd-s … _id=cjtext

#4 2007-06-01 07:00:22

Tian
Administrator
Website

So you would only need a new numeric field to store an identifier. It could be easily added. I just need some time to do this and try to put it in the better place. So if anyone else want to do so, do not hesitate.

#5 2007-06-01 15:11:32

purplerhino

Yes exactly!  Though I wouldn't limit it to numbers, numbers work for me but someone else may have letters in their indexing scheme.

#6 2007-09-09 10:39:13

nim-nim

Actually I have the same problem

I bought a giant 2000-disks case. Each sleeve contains 8 slots. Each slot is numbered (1-2001). This kind of case saves a lot of room but the problem is finding stuff in it afterwards, so something like GCStar could be a life-saver.

Sometimes I shuffle the sleeves or insert new disks moving others to make place which causes renumbering

To support my case I need to :
1. associate a slot number to each disk,
2. have the app handle reshuffling graciously (ie x elements inserted at position foo, add/remove x to the slot nombers of the following elements)
3. mark sleeve boundaries. It is somewhat desirable to have each element of a dvd set in the same sleeve, so right now I use a speadsheet that highlights every 8th line

If I had to generalize the model I'd say:

1. people have a set of physical containers (rows of shelves, cases with sleeves, etc). All the containers may not be of the same type
2. each container has sub-containers (shelves, sleeves) that can only contain a fixed number of elements (slots). So a container is a sequence of identical sub-containers. Each sub-container can be labelled with the range it contains
3. each slot has a unique number within the container

The problem is helping users manage the (container,number) associated with each disk

#7 2007-09-09 13:48:58

Tian
Administrator
Website

Hello,

This numeric identifier has been added in GCstar 1.2.0. But for the moment, it is up to the user to fill it with correct value (no automatic re-numbering or anything else).

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.