#1 2007-07-17 00:09:51

m_abs

Single file collection

I would really to be able to copy my collection between my laptop and my stationary, but it a little complicated since the thumbnails are stored separately. Also I've lost the thumbnails on more then one occasion, which is annoying.

Wouldn't be an idea to save the xml + additional files in a zip-archive, just the way ODF stores attachments?

#2 2007-07-22 01:06:53

m_abs

Re: Single file collection

I have been thinking about this and had a look at the code.

I think only a few changes would be needed:
The open function should unzip the collection to a temp dir, and set image paths to match that.

The save function should zip the existing XML-file (.gcs) and the images, only images referred to in the collection so no redundant images waste space.

Paths to images should be in a temp-dir there the collection has been unzipped, new images should be copied to the same dir. A "variable" would be need in the XML to indicate that the image is not a locale file, something like "%COLLECTION_ARCHIVE%/images/gcstar_01.jpg".

#3 2007-07-22 10:52:32

Tian
Administrator
Website

Re: Single file collection

Hello,

There are already a plugin to import and export to .tar.gz format with what you need. It is a little more complicated to used as you need to go to sub-menus instead of using only save.

But in the next version (which is more and more late...), I changed a lot of things in the internal architecture, and I added a way to create some backends to load and save the data, instead of only one way as now. So the only thing that would need to be developed then is a backend that uses the import and export modules.

There is still a lot of work in progress for this version (I will provide first a beta as I may have broken some things) and there will be a need to develop some specific stuff. But I think it will be easier then to provide what you would like.

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.