#1 2012-11-03 11:01:27

Tark

Barcode support and 1.7.0

What I want to know is - Can you use GCStar and a barcode scanner to quickly catalogue a CD or DVD collection by retrieving and matching the product barcode from the free database links provided ??? Or not?

I am running GCstar 1.7.0 on Ubuntu 12.04. I have a USB barcode scanner that dumps the barcode into the keyboard buffer and the scanner seems to work properly with the right numbers appearing for a scanned code.

My issue is that the codes are not recognised by the database search. The docs, the web site and some reviews all talk about bar code support but I cannot find any precise description of the process of entering CDs or DVDs using a bar code scanner.

At the moment I suspect that the problem is that the 'free' databases such as Discogs that GCstar searches do not provide for barcode matching, but I cannot find any information that would confirm that one way or the other.

I do find GCstar acts a little oddly when I select Barcode import. The 'Import another items list' appears but then sort of freezes, most of the time nothing happens when I click on the Cancel or Import buttons. Sometimes a further batch import dialogue appears but that also behaves erratically and frequently shrinks to very small size.

I can run a demo version of a proprietary cataloguer under (Spit!) Windows and that of course works flawlessly with the barcode scanner.

#2 2012-11-13 20:11:51

soulchainer

Re: Barcode support and 1.7.0

I only can say to you that the barcode scanner function works.
Because i'm trying to do a plugin for anobii and it works reading the isbn by the gcstar scanner app for android (because i don't have a barcode scanner :p).
What is the problem with movies? The available plugins on gcstar for recover info (at least, what i have on my version) only can search by title.
Not isbn/serial number. And i guess the info the barcode scans is that. So the plugins aren't capable to find anything with that number. Until somebody writes a plugin for a site storing and searching by serial number, there's no way.

Last edited by soulchainer (2012-11-13 21:22:28)

#3 2012-11-14 03:20:02

Tark

The reason for my question was that most of the Windows cataloguing programs that you pay for have barcode support. By which they mean that you can use a barcode scanner to scan your DVD and CD collection and they will identify and catalogue each item by matching the code using a database.

As far as I can tell in the case of these programs that database is a proprietary database maintained by the company that sells the cataloguing software or at least is access to other databases mediated through their proprietary system.

The documentation for GCstar states that it supports barcode scanners. I wanted to know if that meant it can do the same thing as the proprietary products and use barcode scanning to at least partially automate the cataloguing process. As far as I can see following a standard install it can't, which makes the statement of barcode support perhaps misleading.

As far as I can see to get it to do what I want I would need to write my own plugin to use the scanned barcodes as a search term and that would only be useful if the online vendors provide machine readable access to barcodes in their product databases. It is not clear to me at the moment whether they do or don't.

#4 2012-11-14 12:30:27

soulchainer

Aja...
I understood you the first time you explained it.

About the GCstar documentation:

GCstar Documentation wrote:

All versions of GCstar can support a barcode scanner that behaves as a keyboard and enters the code as if it was entered using a keyboard. Starting with GCstar 1.6.2, there is an import plugin that can be used to do so in batch mode (i.e. entering many items, one after the other). This doesnít fully work for all kind of collections, because it also needs a plugin that support that to fetch the information from a website. If you know such a website that is not yet supported by GCstar, donít hesitate to report it in the forums.

So, what misleading are you talking about? ‘_ů
I don't see any misleading.
The documentation states that GCstar support a barcode scanner. And it do. And works with the plugins that properly support it .
Seriously, I don't see the misleading part anywhere.

And I answered your question before x__x
But I'm partly wrong. Because I checked the scanner option with a films collection and here are a few plugins to seems to support scanner on first instance. But I can't really checked any of them because I only have spanish dvd's, so don't know if they work with titles of their languages or not. According to you, seems that the answer is not. Well, even so, still no misleading.

You can wait for answer from someone from that countries about if that plugins works or not. If the answer is not, and you can't wait for someone who wants to make a plugin that works for you, you always can use the paid programs smile
One good thing about GCstar is that it don't cost you anything ^^

Finally, I will repeat my answer for you: with the properly plugins for the properly web databases it "can do the same thing as the propietary products and use barcode scanning to at least partially automate the cataloging process".

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.