#1 2007-01-18 01:31:24

ravonup

Series

Would be great if a Series database could be implemented.  Data can be pulled from websites such as TV.com which have information on series based on individual episodes.  We would be able to add episode name and series and it would be able to fill the information per that particular site.

What do you guys think?

#2 2007-01-18 10:02:57

Tian
Administrator
Website

Re: Series

Hello,

There have been some modifications in movies database to be handle to also manage series. Here are the settings you could use for this. Got into settings for detailed mode ( see here http://www.gcstar.org/doc.settings#display ). And choose to group items by field "Serie" and to have a master determined by "Rank".

Then you may create a new serie by creating a new item in you collection. Fill in the Serie field with the appropriate value. And for Rank, be sure to use 0.

To add an item to the serie, select it in the list and then duplicate it (you have an item in the Edit menu for this purpose). You may then change what is specific for this episode (such as the synopsis or the cast).

Let me know if you still find something that is missing or if you really think a new kind of collection is really required (and why).

#3 2007-01-21 00:03:31

ravonup

Well, I guess that can work.  It's bit annoying that the Serie entry is the details tab but I guess that's fine.  Would be nice to have a kind  of collection for it as the people aren't going to stop any time soon getting series dvds which can be separated by episodes.  TV.com is a great resource for getting information on any show/episode.  I tried making a custom database just for this but it didn't quite work.  The play button did not work even tho i set it to [Automatic] and [Video].  Is this known issue?

#4 2007-04-03 00:32:33

Zento

Tian wrote:

Let me know if you still find something that is missing or if you really think a new kind of collection is really required (and why).

Hello.

I think TV series should be a different kind of collection, because they are organized in a different way from movies. Will be great to have a season field, and a original episode code, and the info downloaded from tv.com, or sites like that one. Finally, with this info, should be possible to have a tree-view option in the form:

Serie
  Season
    Episode (number + title)

Meanwhile, I am using the approach you recommend, which is good, but can be improved.

Thank you for your time. smile

#5 2007-04-04 12:50:48

Tian
Administrator
Website

Hello,

For the moment, it is impossible to have more than 2 levels in tree view (3 would be needed for your example).

As I am rewriting all the stuff dealing with that (and lot of other things also), I won't think about what could be done to have any number of levels in collections. But this could be envisaged later.

#6 2007-04-18 11:44:58

stuples

Could we discuss the content of the TV series collection? I think the following information over 3 tabs would be spot on:

Original title
Picture
Premiered
Director
Length (episode length)
Country
Status (Running, Ended)
Genre
Synopsis

--------------------------------------
Episode Tree
    eg
    Season Number:
        Episode Number - Episode Title

Episode Synopsis (long textbox)
Add Season and Add Episode Buttons
--------------------------------------
Rating
Media

#7 2007-04-18 11:59:51

Tian
Administrator
Website

Hello,

A user already submitted a pre-version of such a model. You may check it here:

http://forums.gcstar.org/viewtopic.php?id=189

It's in french only for the moment. So I'll ask to this user to discuss here about it if possible.

Concerning your suggestions, I only see a problem. For the moment, GCstar doesn't  provide a way to add a field shown as a tree. It could be done in a future version, but this will require some development.

#8 2007-04-25 08:14:44

nocrack

hello everybody,
I've started to work on a Series template like Tian said.
I'll try to internationalize it quickly. but while waiting, please try it and tell me what do you want to see changed

#9 2007-04-25 12:08:29

nocrack

Hi,

This is the internationalised version (English only)

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.