#1 2007-09-18 06:50:57

zombiepig

about gcstar .desktop file and gnome menu!

Tian,

I've got two small questions about the gcstar .desktop file I've been thinking about and thought I'd see your opinion on them.

Firstly, should the description of gcstar in the file be changed from "Movie Collection Catalog" to something more generic, like "Personal Collections Catalog" or "Personal Collections Manager"? Gcstar handles a lot more than just movies wink

And along the same lines... it feels a little strange to me that gcstar is placed under the applications->AudioVideo category (or sound & video on my computer). If someone was using gcstar just to manage a book or wine collection it would be hard for them to think of gcstar as an audio/video application. But then, i'm not really sure what category gcstar would fit better under. Possibly "Office", but again, it feels a bit strange to look for it there tongue

What are your thoughts about this?

#2 2007-09-18 09:20:37

Florent

Re: about gcstar .desktop file and gnome menu!

I agree with on the location of the menu entry. My best guess would be "Accessories" or "Utility" according to http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-s … t/apa.html that seems to be followed by both Gnome and KDE.

#3 2007-09-18 12:21:49

Tian
Administrator
Website

Hello,

First I must admit I didn't take care of this file since first GCstar's version when it has been copied from GCfilms. That's why it looks quite strange.

I didn't maintain it as most of the users install GCstar from provided packages for their distributions. And these packages have their own .desktop files.

But I agree I should change also the one in the main distribution for people installing from sources. The comment should be "Personal Collections Manager" as it is the official description for GCstar.

Concerning the menu entry, I think I should check what is used for distributions. If you have some information about this, they are welcome. I already checked for Fedora (as I am the maintainer for this package wink ) and this is "Application;Office;". While I am not really sure, I think I decided to use that after some discussions with other package maintainers. But other distributions may have other rules.

For the moment, for this generic .desktop, I prefer "Application;Utility;". But this is not yet a final resolution.

#4 2007-09-18 13:08:31

zombiepig

looking at the freedesktop specs - i'd think that applications;office seems to be the most appropriate...

#5 2007-09-20 08:53:57

Florent

I would like also to add a word on GCstar icon used for the app menu (and potentially launchers)
The one currently by default is the packaging, referenced by .desktop file is on the attached screenshot. As it contains both the periscope and the text, it is not meaningful.
I would suggest to change it for the GCstar logo which is only the head of the periscope

#6 2007-09-20 11:18:51

Tian
Administrator
Website

The desktop file you are mentioning is the one used by the GCstar's installer? Because it should use this .desktop file:

http://cvs.gna.org/cvsweb/gcstar/share/ … oot=gcstar

And it copies this icon to /usr/share/pixmaps/gcstar.png :

http://cvs.gna.org/cvsweb/gcstar/share/ … oot=gcstar

So I don't understand how you could have this one (but a bug is still possible wink )

If your .desktop is the one created by the package for your distribution, then the problem is in this package and I can't fix that.

#7 2007-09-20 11:55:34

zombiepig

yep - the problem is in ubuntu's packaging of gcstar. I had the same icon too after when I first installed gcstar from ubuntus rep.

(which reminds me - i should check if this happens on my gutsy test box at work tomorrow...)

#8 2007-09-20 17:32:09

Tian
Administrator
Website

I changed the .desktop file in GCstar's distribution. I also contacted the maintainer for the Debian package concerning the icon problem.

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.