#1 2007-03-20 12:54:25

brecke
Member
Registered: 2007-03-20
Posts: 10

imDB information retrieval

Hi there,

Needless to say you've done an amazing job so far. I had been looking for some "movie-collector" like software for linux for sometime now and i'm delighted to have found gcstar smile

However, i find the imDB information retrieval plugin quite below expectations. There is a whole lot of other information available in the site that the plugin is just not able to get. I wonder why this happens. I particularly miss the imDB rating which i find to be a very useful tool for choosing which movies to watch (and when).

I am a programmer myself and I'd give it a try to make it right, but i don't know perl and I would have the time to learn it (if it's really something hardcore, is it?).

So my question would be... can this be fixed? is the plugin buggy or does it have anything to do with the recently changed imDB frontend (which might have ruined the html parsing)? Is there some tech obstacle I don't know about?

Thanks in advance,
Miguel, Portugal

Offline

 

#2 2007-03-20 13:13:32

Tian
Administrator
From: France
Registered: 2006-12-08
Posts: 1647
Website

Re: imDB information retrieval

Hello,

brecke wrote:

Needless to say you've done an amazing job so far

These kind of comments are always needed wink

Concerning IMDb, there have been some changes on their websites, but the plugin has already been changed for this. Did you get the last updates for plugins as explained here: http://wiki.gcstar.org/en/update ?

As it seems to work for me, I would need more information if you already have these updates. Please give examples of movies that fail and try to launch GCstar from a console to see if there are error messages displayed.

Offline

 

#3 2007-03-20 14:49:35

brecke
Member
Registered: 2007-03-20
Posts: 10

Re: imDB information retrieval

First of all, thank you for the quick reply.

Tian wrote:

Concerning IMDb, there have been some changes on their websites, but the plugin has already been changed for this. Did you get the last updates for plugins as explained here: http://wiki.gcstar.org/en/update ?

err.. i see the light now smile It does fetch a lot more information now...

Tian wrote:

As it seems to work for me, I would need more information if you already have these updates. Please give examples of movies that fail and try to launch GCstar from a console to see if there are error messages displayed.

i took the movie "the departed" for instance.. i snapshot the information window i get and attached it. Do you get the same? Is it normal not filling the original title and rating fields? It doesn't show anything in the terminal, so i suppose it's not buggy or anything similar.

Thanks again,
Miguel, Portugal

Offline

 

#4 2007-03-21 10:38:55

Tian
Administrator
From: France
Registered: 2006-12-08
Posts: 1647
Website

Re: imDB information retrieval

Concerning the rating, it's normal as it has never been imported by the plugin.

The original title may need seem some fix however. But for the example you gave, there is no original title as "The departed"  is the american title and the movie is an american one. Do you have an example with an original title not imported?

Offline

 

#5 2007-03-21 12:06:36

brecke
Member
Registered: 2007-03-20
Posts: 10

Re: imDB information retrieval

Tian wrote:

Concerning the rating, it's normal as it has never been imported by the plugin.

Ok, so this is definitely my future request for this plugin. Some more HTML parsing i think... can't wait.

Tian wrote:

The original title may need seem some fix however. [...] Do you have an example with an original title not imported?

At first i thought i had misinterpreted the feature. But now that i think about it.. lets take another example:

"Les poupées russes"
As i search for this on iMDB (as is), i immediately get the movie's info page.

This implies that both the original title and title should be "les poupées russes", as you both identify the movie with this string (title) and the movie itself is a French production (original title). There is no reason why it shouldn't fill both fields as they have different purposes.

However, as i search the movie as "Russian dolls", i get
"#  Poupées russes, Les (2005) aka "The Russian Dolls" - (literal English title)" as one of the options.

This would imply that i want to identify the movie with its literal English title, so the title should be in fact "Russian dolls". And, of course, the original title would be "les poupées russes" for the same reasons as above.

Was i clear? Does this make any sense to you?
Anyway, this is just my point of view. Keep up the good work!! smile

Miguel, Portugal

Offline

 

#6 2007-04-04 14:08:38

egil
New member
Registered: 2007-04-03
Posts: 2

Re: imDB information retrieval

First I would like to echo Miguel's initial comment about what a great job you have done with this software - I was surprised and very happy to find something like this for linux. It's going to save me a lot of time in organizing my assorted archives.

Second I want to add some feedback on the functioning of the IMDB plugin, (and just to note, I'm running gcstar 1.1.1 with all of the plugins updated as per the suggestion above):
1) Information is being imported for the date, length, country, cast and synopsis fields, but still not for the director field, which would have to be one of the most important fields in these forms. I have tested this with The Departed (2006) and Moolaadé (2004).
2) For certain films the IMDB search will return results if you search using alternative titles for a film, but not with the original title of the film. I have tested this with two Ousmane Sembene films, Moolaadé (Moolade returns results but Moolaadé doesn't) and Mandabi (Le Mandat returns results and Mandabi doesn't).

I did these tests running Gcstar from the terminal and no error messages appeared. Hopefully there is a way to iron out these quirks without too much difficulty.

Congrats again,

Egil.

Offline

 

#7 2007-04-04 17:32:56

Tian
Administrator
From: France
Registered: 2006-12-08
Posts: 1647
Website

Re: imDB information retrieval

Hello,

I fixed the mentioned bugs in the IMDb plugin. It's in the update repository.

Concerning the original title, I still don't know what to do. The problem is that GCstar can't guess what title should be considered as the translated one for the user (i.e. if it should pick the same one as the original one or one in the list of translations). It can't rely on the search string because this one could only contain parts of the full title (because user didn't enter it fully to save some time).

Offline

 

#8 2007-04-05 17:01:52

egil
New member
Registered: 2007-04-03
Posts: 2

Re: imDB information retrieval

Thanks for the quick response to the bugs I mentioned.

In relation to the issue of the original title, for the time being it could be useful to allow the original title field to be filled regardless of whether or not an original title is also used as the general title for an entry. I think that this is better than having no original titles imported.

In relation to the issue of the selection of the general title for each entry, is there any way to compare the search string to the available options (original and international titles) and automatically select the closest match? Or do you think that it could be worthwhile as a future feature to create an additional popup menu for the user to select the title option that they want to use?

I'm not a programmer so I hope that these suggestions don't sound too naive.

Offline

 

#9 2007-04-06 10:54:32

brecke
Member
Registered: 2007-03-20
Posts: 10

Re: imDB information retrieval

egil wrote:

In relation to the issue of the original title, for the time being it could be useful to allow the original title field to be filled regardless of whether or not an original title is also used as the general title for an entry. I think that this is better than having no original titles imported.

I fully agree.
Other than that, is the imdb-rating a good feature-request? or is it supposed to be user-filled or something? can it be done in a near future?

Miguel, Portugal

Offline

 

#10 2007-07-14 14:46:32

brecke
Member
Registered: 2007-03-20
Posts: 10

Re: imDB information retrieval

hi again,

Just stopped by to ask if there are any news on this feature request concerning the imdb plug-in movie rating.. my dvd cakes are piling up waiting for it (:

Miguel, Portugal

Offline

 

#11 2007-07-15 09:38:13

Tian
Administrator
From: France
Registered: 2006-12-08
Posts: 1647
Website

Re: imDB information retrieval

Hello,

Sorry for so long time without any answer. The rating is supposed to be filled by user as you supposed. So it is not planned for the moment to fill it automatically from a website.

Offline

 

#12 2007-07-15 14:59:33

brecke
Member
Registered: 2007-03-20
Posts: 10

Re: imDB information retrieval

Oh, i see your point, but... isn't already there an option to control whether to fetch a certain field from the website? If the rating was fetched from IMDB, one could always de-select the field in order to be defined by oneself, right? That way, the feature "user-defined-rating" wouldn't be harmed and there would be the freedom to choose which way to fill it in. This already happens with categories, plot, etc... i see no reason why rating should be any different.

Just a thought.
Miguel, Portugal

Offline

 

#13 2007-08-09 11:19:57

brecke
Member
Registered: 2007-03-20
Posts: 10

Re: imDB information retrieval

knock, knock, any news on this? smile

Pilling up movies, hoping.. roll
Miguel, Portugal

Offline

 

#14 2007-08-09 11:32:33

zenone
Member
Registered: 2007-07-13
Posts: 16

Re: imDB information retrieval

Well, the rating in Gcstar stands for the "User rating" and not for the "Imbd rating"... maybe we can implement two ways of rating...the "Internet rating" and the "User rating"...

Last edited by zenone (2007-08-09 11:32:57)

Offline

 

#15 2007-08-09 12:15:27

brecke
Member
Registered: 2007-03-20
Posts: 10

Re: imDB information retrieval

zenone wrote:

Well, the rating in Gcstar stands for the "User rating" and not for the "Imbd rating"... maybe we can implement two ways of rating...the "Internet rating" and the "User rating"...

The way I see it, there should be just the one rating field so that one could decide whether to fetch it from Imdb using the checkbox or not. In my particular case, it's the site fetching I miss roll If there isn't a user plot plus an Imdb plot, why should there be a user rating plus an Imdb rating?

This way the user could define alone what to do with the rating field, the same way it already does with the other fields wink

Miguel, Portugal

Offline

 

#16 2007-11-28 16:44:49

brecke
Member
Registered: 2007-03-20
Posts: 10

Re: imDB information retrieval

any news on this one? smile

no point in organizing my movie collection without the imdb rating retrieval roll

thanks!

Offline

 

#17 2008-02-10 15:15:03

brecke
Member
Registered: 2007-03-20
Posts: 10

Re: imDB information retrieval

First of all, let me say it's the last time i'll be bugging you with this, i promise smile

I'm all happy gcstar 1.3.2 included this feature which excited me into installing it  as soon as I knew it was out. However, I've noticed the rating field is a integer.. and the real imdb rating is not... so i was wondering if there is any chance to change it into a float/decimal number, since an imdb 6.5 movie isn't as nearly as good as an 7.4, right?

thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

Offline

 



Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.