#1 2020-04-19 21:32:45

dom

Best update practice

What a great piece of news that this project is revived, thanks Kerenoc (and Tian) !

I successfully managed to install it (1.7.2) on my Elementary Os 5 (ubuntu 18.04 based), it works fine, so I'll be using it again to update and manage my collections.

I was wondering what was best/easiest way to keep GCstar updated now ?
Does a simple git pull works ? smile

I used git clone https://gitlab.com/Kerenoc/GCstar.git then installed libgtk2-perl (perl v5.26 was already installed) and all the cpan modules mentionned in installation page.

I only have some errors when I change collection, but it still works fine although big critical alerts ?

Code:

Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_file_chooser_default_set_current_name: assertion 'impl->action == GTK_FILE_CHOOSER_ACTION_SAVE || impl->action == GTK_FILE_CHOOSER_ACTION_CREATE_FOLDER' failed at /home/logiciels/GCstar/gcstar/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCDialogs.pm line 1225.
Plugins : loading error with plugin GCGBooks
: Can't locate JSON.pm in @INC (you may need to install the JSON module) (@INC contains: /home/logiciels/GCstar/gcstar/bin/../lib/gcstar /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.26.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.26 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.26 /usr/share/perl/5.26 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at /home/logiciels/GCstar/gcstar/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCPlugins/GCbooks/GCGBooks.pm line 40.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/logiciels/GCstar/gcstar/bin/../lib/gcstar/GCPlugins/GCbooks/GCGBooks.pm line 40.
Compilation failed in require at (eval 374) line 2.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 374) line 2.
Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_text_buffer_set_text: assertion 'text != NULL' failed at /home/logiciels/GCstar/gcstar/bin/gcstar line 329.
Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_text_buffer_set_text: assertion 'text != NULL' failed at /home/logiciels/GCstar/gcstar/bin/gcstar line 329.

Last edited by dom (2020-04-19 21:33:58)

#2 2020-04-24 19:54:20

kerenoc
Administrator
Website

Re: Best update practice

If you followed the installation page, you should not have the JSON.pm errors (JSON is used to colllect from site providing an API).

If you can afford to loose some space on your disk, pulling from Gitlab is the simplest option.

The packaging of GCstar for Linux distribs was lost when the previous repository closed and some work is still necessary on the Gtk3 before trying to progress on that subject.

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.