#1 2007-02-03 02:55:13

bashir
Website

GCstar for Family tree

Hi I All... is there any way to use GCstar as a database for FamilyTree?, I noticed that GCstar file format using XML, so I think that it's easy to create a tree.

#2 2007-02-05 07:55:24

Tian
Administrator
Website

Re: GCstar for Family tree

Hello,

To manage family trees, the first requirement is a way to have relations between people.

Unfortunately in a GCstar's collection, it's not possible to define relations or dependencies between items. And I think this would require huge changes.

So for the moment, this cannot be done.

#3 2007-02-05 14:14:18

bashir
Website

All what i need is tree control format in simplist way, actually i did it by using Java/RCP, but i don't know how i can make search procecc throw XML format, so i wanted to use GCstar cuz i don't want to re-invent old idea.

Does GCstar can output like this format? if there is ability to do that we can add it as plug-in

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<collection type="FamilyTree" items="4">
<FamilyTree>
    <Bashir age="150" study="bad science">
        <Jhon age="10" study="baby">
            <SmallJhonny age="5" study="smalles baby">
            </SmallJhonny>
        </Jhon>
        <Sam age="32" study="criminal">
        </Sam>
    </Bashir>
</FamilyTree>

#4 2007-02-05 14:43:26

Tian
Administrator
Website

bashir wrote:

Does GCstar can output like this format? if there is ability to do that we can add it as plug-in

It's totally impossible without deep changes in GCstar as said before.

GCstar could only manage a list of independant items. Here you have an item in another item. Even if you would like to have them as a flat list, you would need to have a reference from an item to another (something such as fatherIs="" and motherIs=""). This would create your hierarchical structure. But this is also unsupported by current GCstar.

#5 2007-02-07 04:47:29

bashir
Website

hummm... i got it!
Thanks Tian, I decided to continue my project by using Java/RCP except of GCstar

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.