#1 2007-03-18 03:05:40

mEcko

Statistics and possibility of using UPC

I thought it would be nice with a statistics part in GCStar. I mean so you could for example see how much movies you have on each category (i.e. 30 action movies), how much this is in percent of total movies (i.e. 10% of total movies is under genre action) and so on. Maybe a graph-function too?

Another thought is a function which would make it possible to use the UPC (universal product code, the barcode) on a dvd-case for example, to fetch info to the movie? Either write the UPC and then fetching info, or just put the disc in the dvd-drive and GCStar fetches info automatically. But maybe such a function would be hard to fix.

A backup- and restore-function.

I also have a question. The info which is fetched from the sites, i.e. the texts and covers, are they saved locally? I mean, if a website which you have fetched info from, didn't exist anymore, do you still have all the info in GCStar? Maybe a silly question roll

Last edited by mEcko (2007-03-18 04:18:46)

#2 2007-03-20 13:26:15

jro850

Re: Statistics and possibility of using UPC

Hi

I switched from Windows to Linux a while ago. Since then I was searching for a program like gcstar (Thanks for this amazing program). While I was working with Windows, I used the Program DVD Profiler which is also a great Prog.

Therefore I hook up with mEcko to have an option to use UPC. Sometimes The plugin does not download the same cover scan as I have on my DVDs or the Information is wrong (because of the region). Is it not possible to access the same DB as DVD Profiler does?

I just asked myself if it is not possible to work together with the creator of DVD Profiler (www.dvdprofiler.com) to have the same opportunities to contribute DVD information and to access them. (The creator of DVD Profiler does not provide any Linux version sad but if gcstar and DVD Profiler could work together it would be great... just my thoughts wink

Anyway thank's for this prog.

#3 2007-03-20 14:50:08

Tian
Administrator
Website

Hello,

mEcko wrote:

I thought it would be nice with a statistics part in GCStar. I mean so you could for example see how much movies you have on each category (i.e. 30 action movies), how much this is in percent of total movies (i.e. 10% of total movies is under genre action) and so on. Maybe a graph-function too?

It's a good idea. But it will take a lot of time to implement it. So I won't do it for the moment.  The most I can do now is creating a task. So anyone could take of it.

https://gna.org/task/?4927

mEcko wrote:

Another thought is a function which would make it possible to use the UPC (universal product code, the barcode) on a dvd-case for example, to fetch info to the movie? Either write the UPC and then fetching info, or just put the disc in the dvd-drive and GCStar fetches info automatically. But maybe such a function would be hard to fix.

There are already a few ones for video games.

The problem is not to write this. The problem is to find a source on the web where an association between UPC and item information is stored. If you know such a website, feel free to communicate it here.

mEcko wrote:

A backup- and restore-function.

You may use .tar.gz export/import ( http://wiki.gcstar.org/en/conversions )

mEcko wrote:

I also have a question. The info which is fetched from the sites, i.e. the texts and covers, are they saved locally? I mean, if a website which you have fetched info from, didn't exist anymore, do you still have all the info in GCStar?

Everything is stored on your machine.

jro850 wrote:

Is it not possible to access the same DB as DVD Profiler does?

I just asked myself if it is not possible to work together with the creator of DVD Profiler (www.dvdprofiler.com) to have the same opportunities to contribute DVD information and to access them.

DVD Profiler is a proprietary and commercial product, while GCstar is a free software. Then I think the answer is obvious wink

#4 2007-03-29 11:55:41

mEcko

Thanks for the answers Tian!

#5 2007-07-23 16:42:17

larsso

There is a lookup service at upcdatabase.com, it works for every type of product type. It is however incomplete.

It will give you the name and artist of a cd:
http://www.upcdatabase.com/item.asp?upc=731452212627
On books it will find the ISBN (there might be other places to took that up):

I havent really testet it on dvds or anything else.

I would volunteer to add this feature, but cant make head or tail of perl...

#6 2007-11-15 15:55:29

Overlord

tian wrote:

mEcko wrote:

The problem is not to write this. The problem is to find a source on the web where an association between UPC and item information is stored. If you know such a website, feel free to communicate it here.

I think there are quite a few places that you can use UPC codes. I know another product (readerware) uses python scripts to get info from sites using UPC. Don't know if they are open source, but they are readable and I could use them as a guidline to make perl versions. The first thing that needs to happen though is to add a UPC field to the collections.

I've been looking for a project to get myself back into programing after a bit of a hiatus and would be happy to take this on. I will be able to hack something together, but would need help integrating it if someone wants to work with me on this.

tian wrote:

jro850 wrote:

Is it not possible to access the same DB as DVD Profiler does?

I just asked myself if it is not possible to work together with the creator of DVD Profiler (www.dvdprofiler.com) to have the same opportunities to contribute DVD information and to access them.

DVD Profiler is a proprietary and commercial product, while GCstar is a free software. Then I think the answer is obvious wink

This is a pretty good program, I'd like to try to borrow some of their ideas, but the one thing I don't really like is their proprietary movie database, it's pretty complete, but it would be far better to have a choice of where to get info from.

Overlord

#7 2007-11-15 16:28:55

Tian
Administrator
Website

Hello,

Overlord wrote:

I've been looking for a project to get myself back into programing after a bit of a hiatus and would be happy to take this on. I will be able to hack something together, but would need help integrating it if someone wants to work with me on this.

First you should better wait a few days as a new major version will be available then.

Then, we'll be more than happy to help you adding new features to GCstar and to integrate them. If you need any kind of help for this, do not hesitate to post in the forum for developers and contributers:

http://forums.gcstar.org/viewforum.php?id=2

And you should get the help you need from me or another developer.

#8 2007-11-15 16:40:10

Overlord

Tian wrote:

Hello,
First you should better wait a few days as a new major version will be available then.

Then, we'll be more than happy to help you adding new features to GCstar and to integrate them. If you need any kind of help for this, do not hesitate to post in the forum for developers and contributers:

http://forums.gcstar.org/viewforum.php?id=2

And you should get the help you need from me or another developer.

Cool, I'll start researching, but wait until the next release to start any work.

Is there a developement version of the code or do we just have to wait for releases?

Overlord

#9 2007-11-15 17:00:28

Tian
Administrator
Website

Overlord wrote:

Is there a developement version of the code or do we just have to wait for releases?

There is an anonymous access to the CVS repository. Instructions are here:

https://gna.org/cvs/?group=gcstar

But you may also use some CVS snapshots. There is also a script that could help you. More instructions are on this page:

http://wiki.gcstar.org/en/test

I hope this helps you. If you need anything else, just let me know.

#10 2007-11-26 03:35:26

theoutrider

Tian wrote:

Hello,

mEcko wrote:

As a matter of fact, EAN/UPC codes as well as ISBNs should work just fine with Amazon's searches. This is of course by no means a complete repository of media, but definitely a good place to start. I've just tried entering the UPCs of a few games and movies of mine into Amazon's search box, and if they have the info at all the product for the code will be returned as the only search result. I'm fairly sure this is also how Libra handles its barcode scanning feature - it allows the user to select the amazon site to search, scans the code via the webcam and then adds the result to the database.

Hope this helps a bit wink

#11 2007-12-10 07:05:58

Overlord

So I've done some preliminary work on getting UPC search to work with amazon. I'm getting there, but  need a little direction to integrate it into gcstar. Can you point me to the section of code that deals with searching the websites? I'm new to working on large projects, is there some sort of layout or something that would help me find certain routines?

Thanks

#12 2007-12-10 12:56:07

Tian
Administrator
Website

Overlord wrote:

Can you point me to the section of code that deals with searching the websites?

The search and fetch is performed by some plugins. They are in lib/gcstar/GCPlugins. There is one directory for each kind of collections. And there you will find a file for each website.

As I mentioned earlier, there are already a few things done for video games with Amazon plugins to manage UPC. There should be also for DVDs. But I am not sure if it works yet. I could have a better look if you wish.

#13 2010-07-22 21:16:39

dr4c4n
Website

Has any of this been followed up on? There is an XML RPC to www.upcdatabase.com
and it lists examples of all of the programming languages to access the information. I was wondering if there's been a plugin written for this at all. If not I'm attempting to write the python to just gather the title / any information from the description, and hopefully try to figure out how to automatically get that data into gcstar to perform a search..

Any help would be appreciated.

#14 2010-08-01 18:43:25

dr4c4n
Website

there is also a python extension to imdb which contains many upc codes for dvd movies.. I am really interested in persuing this endeavour... let me know how to help / who I should contact.

#15 2010-08-02 03:01:53

zombiepig

dr4c4n - could you file a bug report about this over at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gcstar/+bugs

Then we'll start discussing over there the best way to go ahead implementing this. It's a bit easier to track (and not forget about!) things like this on launchpad rather then in the forum.

#16 2011-01-23 19:00:35

bhartsfield

The program is set up to pull data from the DVD Empire site, and the site will use UPC data to search for DVD information. Why can't the GCStar database have a UPC field included even if, it is not being used right now. It can be used later.

#17 2011-01-25 17:47:48

aross01

Question:
I'm new at perl programming and using GCStar
and I like GCStar so I was looking as searching amazon.com using UPC

And using the upc for
UPC: 025192050299
Title: Despicable Me (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)

This is the search URL was generated for
field-keywords=025192050299

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ … ubmit.y=19

If I put UPC in the title and use a my custom lookup
I then return UPC as part of the title formated as "Despicable Me (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy) (UPC:025192050299)"

My search was looking at the title and all number = UPC
or if I find (UPC:999999999999)

Another field would be better but this is the only way I could get it to work with my testing any comments?

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.