#1 2011-11-04 20:00:40

blink38

Integrate CouchDB - GCstar in the cloud

It would be great if someone integrate couchDB into GCstar. User will be able to save his database not on his computer but in a cloud like ubuntu one.

Why ? to be able to access his database from other devices.

this is a page from ubuntu one for storing data in the cloud using couchDB : https://one.ubuntu.com/developer/data/store_data/cloud/

I looked for perl API to Ubuntu One, but it is not existing. But there is a perl API for couchDB. It would be great if someone integrate this.

I am proposing to write an android client to access gcstar database. CouchDB API exist for Android. Extending the current Android Client with couchDB will avoid user having to save a copy of his database on the SD card on then viewing it.

What would be great on the Android client is (and what I am proposing to do) :

- integrate couchDB
- import book from barcode (in other terms: fusion the two current android client)
- possibility to check if we get a book (for example, I am in a shop and don't remeber if I have already the book I have behind me : I scan the barcode and the client respond me : YES you have, go away, or NO you do not have this book, paid for it).

I am not a perl developper (just a Java one). I wrote some perl program 6 years ago, but it is to far for me. I prefered to do the android client.

Is there is someone here interesting in my proposition ?

#2 2011-11-04 20:57:51

blink38

Re: Integrate CouchDB - GCstar in the cloud

according to this post  : http://forums.gcstar.org/viewtopic.php?id=2019 (GCstar et DropBox:Comment avoir une collection Ójour sur chaque PC), it is possible to use DropBox.

After some little search, DropBox provide an Android SDK and there is in CPAN perl module form DropBox

Use of DropBox is free for  2Gb storage.

So it's seem to be a solution.

Should you have a problem using GCstar, you can open a bug report or request some support on GCstar forums.